Pigeon Talk

Thanks! It’s starting to get really cold here now, so I’m trying not to be too hopeful about a hatch at this time of year.

But Bonnie and Clyde did it last year. I can’t believe Bugsy turned a year old, 10 days ago.
I just banded two more oops babies, temps here have been in the teens with wind chill in the single digits.

Edit Belated Happy B-day to Bugsy!:) I forget if she's a mom yet.

WV,,,, you may consider having one of these on standby, after the hatch, lil squabs grow and not able to be completely covered by parent. Still not enough feathers.
81IpWYMWeCL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

The large size is 15 watts, so enough to take the chill out. I would fashion nest on top of rock.

I just banded two more oops babies, temps here have been in the teens with wind chill in the single digits.

Edit Belated Happy B-day to Bugsy!:) I forget if she's a mom yet.
Bio, are the lil ones covered by mom well enough. I just posted the reptile rock option. I have one of these.

Bio, are the lil ones covered by mom well enough. I just posted the reptile rock option. I have one of these.
I think so, different pairs Vary quite a bit on how long they cover the squeaks at night. This mom is the recent 'immigrant' ash-red feral paired with one of my 2019 pied(blue) cocks. During cold weather I find they don't grow as fast, probably using more calories to stay warm. At banding 1750 was 190gr and 1749 was only 110. Both small, but 1749 in the critical zone. So they were brought inside to hand feed and kept in overnight, fed again in the morning before returning them to their nest bowl for the day. Same again the next day. Last night we left them with mom overnight so we'll see how they are doing today. I'm teaching a teen boy to hand feed and band so they are kind of his project under supervision. LOL I do not have electricity in the loft, ….yet. I'd love to put in a coopcam though. The good thing about cold weather is less disease and parasite problems.

:love You got a great image there. The are so sweet and dad so proud!

Edit added: Hey Qwerty! Have you ever met Dvorak? I was setting up new device and was delayed by alternate keyboard call Dvorak. Supposed to be an improved version of you! I'd say more like your evil twin!:gig

Last edited:
Qwerty! What a sweet picture! I learn things all the time here...I had no idea the dad pigeons took such a big part in parenting. Until I started hanging out here. These are such cool birds! Then there is their war duty. I got reading about them during WW1 which I find amazing....and knew nothing about. Then there is the house pigeon thing. I love the thought of Olive helping with the Christmas decorations! What fun & diverse birds!

Back
Top Bottom