Pigeon Talk

For your birds........ since they are not racers,, the year is not sooooo critical. It is for your easy reference to when they were born:):highfive:
You keep track of them in your records. If someone is purchasing one from you,,, there would be no real issue of slightly off year.
For racers,,, I'm suspect there are less than sincere individuals that purchased their 2020 bands as early as possible, and try to slip them onto 2019 bird. Just to get a slight advantage.:idunno Racing clubs may control their sale of bands within club. Generic permanent bands from Outside of USA, can be ordered to say anything you want. They are good to include Phone # if desired, for easy contact of lost/found bird. They can print Year 2525,:gig if you so desire. All those are Custom Made.
Most racing clubs do not allow birds (to fly, compete in races) with band other than racing club ones. Keeps Fanciers Honest by Default:)

WV,, just my thought/view and IDEA, about removable snap bands.
I used to place snaps onto other leg for EZ gender ID. Blue and Pink. :)
Never had one fall off BTW. I think that if there is some irritation caused by sharp edge on plastic ,,,, pigeon may have a tendency to try and remove. I always dulled/rounded that sharp edge with some FINE sandpaper. Another option to keep from falling off,, is a small drop of Krazy Glue into joint. I did stress SMALL, so glue does not overflow, and band becomes permanent with leg.:oops:
Plastic bands are easy to cut off if desired to remove. Permanent bands do pose a more of a challenge. But can be removed if you know what you are doing,,,,, without hurting pigeons leg.
Most stores that have pigeon supplies will have the plastic bands that clip together. You can get them colour codes with paired numbers. Easy to see who's who from a distance. I have got some blue ones with my phone number. I've have also just got some plain pink ones for the ladies!

I hadn’t thought about them trying to breed as early as possible in the year, for racing purposes. Makes perfect sense. :D

I’m positive now that it’s Duff on the nest. I caught each bird and checked bands. Tried to feel tailbones for gender also. I’m still not sure of the dad, haven’t seen him on the nest, but assume Breezy since they hatched 2 sets together last year.
Duff and Skye (my only Blueette) were the only ones that came to me without bands, and I gave Duff a plastic snap band, which she has apparently lost. Glad I didn’t stick with those bands.

If these 2 hatch, I think it will be before the end of the year, And I still have some 2019 bands. I haven’t ordered 2020 bands yet, but I think Bonnie and Clyde will push me to order them soon!
yeah, breeding season is starting right now for racers, and people who show their birds. I actually had my Portuguese tumblers lay their second egg today! so they will hatch Jan. 2nd, and then be banded in 5-6 more days. If all goes well with them raising the youngins, and shipping the bands, they will be on top of things for show! I'm excited. Hopefully my other pair will go at it!

CMR,,, I was talking to a fancier at the pigeon show, and I asked him if he was still racing (I had talked to him the year before) and he said no, because of cheating :idunno... some fancier got counterfeit band THREE years ago saying 2019, and they were winning some big money in the 'young' bird races. They were caught, and now the club is trying to sort this all out. So next year the club will be looking at trying to race again.

You are right, all clubs require them to buy there bands, OR, NPA bands or ARPU bands. Other wise cheating will happen. The cheaters I mentioned above had got some China bands, with it saying NPA, so they looked real. wherever money is cheaters are:old

There is an author, Mo William's, who has written a series of children's books based on a pigeon. Just in case anyone is looking for a cute, and educational, gift for a kid involving a pigeon. Apparently the one book about a pigeon wanting to drive a bus was turned into a kids musical being performed at the Kennedy Center.

Big dollar pigeons....remember the million dollar bird? That still blows my mind!
oh yeah! Armando the pigeon!

There is an author, Mo William's, who has written a series of children's books based on a pigeon. Just in case anyone is looking for a cute, and educational, gift for a kid involving a pigeon. Apparently the one book about a pigeon wanting to drive a bus was turned into a kids musical being performed at the Kennedy Center.
a few years ago, I loved the pigeon books. Don't let the pigeon drive the bus, don't let the pigeon stay up late, don't give the pigeon a hotdog, etc. Perhaps those books formed my love of pigeons! My pigeon reading material went from https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=L&ai...=2ahUKEwijiZ-hiL7mAhVIBFMKHXCbBEIQwg96BAgBECI, to this https://www.amazon.com/dp/1911142453/?tag=backy-20 :D

I assume my 2020 bands are available, but haven’t even checked. I know when I ordered more 2019 bands, there was a note on the website of when they would be available for 2020, so at that time, you couldn’t buy them early.

I had ordered the plastic snap ones when I got my first pigeons. 4 birds still have them, but then I ordered the NPA bands. I do like the idea of adding a colored one after gender is determined!

20191218_115408.jpg

Took them inside to band today. The paper towel was originally to stop them from pooping on the floor but I decided to leave it in there like a blanket. Mom and Dad kept them warm and dry during the ice storm we had yesterday

Nothing Olive does surprises me anymore! Hey....she's probably the one who set up the trees! LOL!
Thanks for the parenting info Bio....I'm still learning!!
Tru dat!:thumbsup
View attachment 1983824
Took them inside to band today. The paper towel was originally to stop them from pooping on the floor but I decided to leave it in there like a blanket. Mom and Dad kept them warm and dry during the ice storm we had yesterday
Can u weigh them? AtbandingI had one at 110 grs and one at 190. I think Iposted about it afew days ago. One of yours looks smaller too...?
Sometimes the parents focus most on only one nestling, causing the loss oftheother.

BUT CONGRATULATIONS!! They are at that sweet downey stage.:love:love Best wishes for their continued good health.

Back
Top Bottom