Pigeon Talk

CascadiaRiver

Songster
5 Years
Dec 12, 2014
Pacific Northwest
I'm not sure if there's anyone here who's super into genetics or breeding but thought maybe I'd ask just in case :D In the next few weeks as I'm pairing up birds I'm hoping to crossbreed for the first time. Specifically damascene and birmingham rollers.

I've got a damascene hen who, despite being from my best pair, doesn't quite have that damascene look for showing. So I'd love to use her in addition to one of my roller cockbirds to try and breed Ice on my rollers. There isn't too much out there that I've seen on breeding Ice, some places I've seen people say the babies could pop out ice, others say it'll take at least 3 gens, but I haven't met anyone at any shows or meets who have bred ice with any other colour.

I have seen that for the most part that Ice should be dominant so my only issue would be trying to get that nice white ice colour in addition to making a nice shaped, sized and good looking roller haha I just thought I'd ask here too to see if anyones had experience breeding ice, thank you!

(I've also got a longer-term goal of breeding Ice and Almond together, once I get an Ice Roller!)

cavemanrich

Enabler
5 Years
Apr 6, 2014
Melrose Park Illinois
But I discovered Brick in the box with Bugsy several nights. So is it a safe assumption now that Brick is female? It’s possible that she laid one or both of the eggs? I know Bugsy and Skye mated up last year, but everyone else was already paired off, so all they had was each other at the time. I did see Skye in the box once, so I still assume he is the father.
If Brick is a female,,, then about day 20,(give or take) she may decide to stop feeding. Bugsy would also stop feeding about that time also. That is the time that DADDY finishes feeding and weaning Junior(s).
Keep an eye on them about that time. If both decide to stop feeding program, then you will have to intervene.
I recall Bio had a pair of females raising some squabs, and there was an abandonment issue, or something, that Bio did finish feeding the lil ones.
@biophiliac correct me if my memory did get clouded.

WVduckchick

🐓🦆 For the Birds! 🦆🐓
Premium member
5 Years
Feb 9, 2015
West Virginia
My Coop
My Coop
Such cute babies and moms!:love As for Brick, I'm getting hen vibes, in particular because she is interested in sitting at times you would expect a hen to sit.
That's what I'm thinking.

If Brick is a female,,, then about day 20,(give or take) she may decide to stop feeding. Bugsy would also stop feeding about that time also. That is the time that DADDY finishes feeding and weaning Junior(s).
Keep an eye on them about that time. If both decide to stop feeding program, then you will have to intervene.
I recall Bio had a pair of females raising some squabs, and there was an abandonment issue, or something, that Bio did finish feeding the lil ones.
@biophiliac correct me if my memory did get clouded.
Brick is one that I had to take over feeding (with Brewer), because I didn't think they were being fed enough. The pair that hatched on New Years Eve seems to spend most the of the day alone, but nights when our temps get really cold, I've seen the hen still with them. I've been checking their crops daily to make sure they are still being fed. But we are at the 3 week point, so now I really need to keep an eye on them. Thanks for the reminder!

biophiliac

Traveler in BYCLand
Apr 22, 2016
DeForest, WI
That's what I'm thinking.

Brick is one that I had to take over feeding (with Brewer), because I didn't think they were being fed enough. The pair that hatched on New Years Eve seems to spend most the of the day alone, but nights when our temps get really cold, I've seen the hen still with them. I've been checking their crops daily to make sure they are still being fed. But we are at the 3 week point, so now I really need to keep an eye on them. Thanks for the reminder!
@cavemanrich is remembering Doo, abandoned by the two moms who literally moved away to another nest box and left him behind when he was less than 2 weeks old. [of the four eggs laid, I took two away and only allowed them to incubate two of them. One of the babies died very soon after hatching. Both of these hens later went on to pair up with males and successfully raise young]. If your squeakers are nearly 3 weeks old, I would definitely be offering them seeds and grit and water to play with so they begin to eat on their own. You would be surprsedhow soon they can learn to do this, especially if they have a chance to observe the parents eating and drinking.
Very sad to say Doo was killed in a hawk attack a little over a week ago, along with #738 another of my favorites who is missing since the same incident and is presumed also taken by a hawk. :hit:hit

Last edited:

ohiogoatgirl

Songster
9 Years
Jan 4, 2011
ohio
Hello all! I'm researching pigeons (again) and am reading up. I've got a lot of changes planned for this year so if I can find someone to get some from I'm hoping to slowly build a loft. Then hopefully next year start with some pigeons.
I'm in Ohio, about an hour east of Pittsburgh pa. If anyone is not terribly far away or can point me toward people/sources near me I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

Top Bottom