Pigeon Talk

Any tips for getting faster recall out of my birds?
I whistle and try to make a rattling noise with their feeder whenever I feed them and I always fly them prior to feeding but somedays they will just ignore my feed call which isn't a huge deal to me but I would like to be able to reliably bring them in on command because their unpredictable behavior means I usually only let them fly on my days off of work since I don't like leaving them out when I'm not around.
Today I let them out in the morning before feeding and they flew for about 10 minutes then landed on the roof. I had to wait about 20 minutes but they came back in relatively trouble free. At around 4 PM today I let them out again because I needed to repair something in the aviary and didn't want to deal with them stressing out and flying into me. Even though they were on pretty full stomachs they flew for a little bit then came back within a few minutes on their own accord.
It seems that take their cue when to come in at their own discretion because they can both see and hear the feeder and my whistling when they're on the roof but only sometimes they will choose to listen to me .I feed them the same amount pretty much every day.
It can be a real pain in the butt when the pigeons start messing when you want them in. The best way that I have found is routine. I know it's not always convenient, especially if you have work or school or other commitments but it's best to try and fly them the at same time everytime. I never fly mine in a morning, mostly because this is when most other people release there pigeons. I do believe the ones lost got caught up in a race and ended up lost or trapped elsewhere. So, I always and only fly mine mid to late afternoon. In the morning I only give them a third to half there daily feed. When they have flown and I want them back I do the calls and whistles and shake a can with the rest if there feed and they are literally climbing over each other to trap! I went through a period that they were messing and not trapping so I started to add aniseed oil to the feed they got when I wanting them to trap. It definately made a difference. They only got this when I wanted them to trap. I still have the odd straggler that messes but I won't chase it around and keep putting feed out or I run the risk of it training me. They only get the feed that I put out. If they don't come straight away then they miss out. They soon learn that if they want the feed they must come in! Alternatively you can try with a treat that they really love like peanuts or sunflower hearts or nachos, whatever! But ONLY give them this inside the loft and only when they trap. Feed is the best motivation for them. There are other ways but this works for me. But most importantly having a regular routine is the best way to train them so they know how and what it is you want them to do. But pigeons as you know can also be pretty stubborn if they want to be!
Edited for shocking spelling!!

Last edited:
I was just checking the fantails eggs. They are due to hatch tomorrow. One of the eggs has got smashed.
DSC_0210.JPG

It must have happened sometime this last week. I cracked the rest open and there was a blood spot but no development so I'm guessing it quit early on.

Any tips for getting faster recall out of my birds?
I whistle and try to make a rattling noise with their feeder whenever I feed them and I always fly them prior to feeding but somedays they will just ignore my feed call which isn't a huge deal to me but I would like to be able to reliably bring them in on command because their unpredictable behavior means I usually only let them fly on my days off of work since I don't like leaving them out when I'm not around.
Today I let them out in the morning before feeding and they flew for about 10 minutes then landed on the roof. I had to wait about 20 minutes but they came back in relatively trouble free. At around 4 PM today I let them out again because I needed to repair something in the aviary and didn't want to deal with them stressing out and flying into me. Even though they were on pretty full stomachs they flew for a little bit then came back within a few minutes on their own accord.
It seems that take their cue when to come in at their own discretion because they can both see and hear the feeder and my whistling when they're on the roof but only sometimes they will choose to listen to me .I feed them the same amount pretty much every day.
If they aren't coming, then you are feeding them too much. Feed them less and get their lazy as... butts up in the sky. They are no longer young birds so they wont take to it quite as readily, so you will probably have to flag them to get them flying. You are basically letting them do what they want.. you have to become the boss of them to make them do what you want. Less feed, and if they are being lazy and sitting on the roof, flag them so they start flying. They have to learn it's flying time outside and not lounging around and being hawk bait time. They have learned a bad habit so you need to break them from it. Use the feed to your advantage. Get them good and hungry and don't be afraid that they act starving... they are little beggars when it comes to food (if they are keeping a healthy weight it means you are feeding enough). You want them to come to you, not be fat, sitting around and ignoring you. The training part can be tough love sometimes... especially when you are trying to break a bad habit.

Back
Top Bottom