Pigeon Talk

I managed to remember to buy some sunflower seeds from the store. My kids fed the birds today so I haven't heard how they liked them. Hoping to give them "treats" to trust us a little more. I have one bird (i think it's a cock) who has been the most trusting so far. The others seem to follow his lead.
I call mine the 'woodpeckers' when I give them treats!

I've just been thinking (*caution*!), we've been threatened with a bit of snow over here. Can pigeons still fly and find their way back if everything is suddenly white?

I always made sure to clear the loft and aviary tops prior to flying when things were snow covered. Hawks also become more desperate when things are snow covered and increase their efforts.

Hi everyone, was hoping i would be able to get some advice on a sick pigeon. My neighbour was cleaning out his outbuilding where a few pigeons live and he found one that couldnt fly properly. I told him to bring it to me as i couldnt leave the poor thing. It is very lethargic and not putting up a fight being handled. He looks young, probably only a month old. First thing i noticed was his eyes, one looks okay but the other he is not opening. He managed to open it a little and it looks watery but he hasnt opened it again. Although the other eye looks fine and he is able to open it, he is mostly just sitting with his head down sleeping. I have checked his mouth and no signs of canker. I also noticed he has some sort of bugs all over him, not quite sure what they are maybe some sort of lice or mite. I was going to put a spot on medicine on but it mentioned not to put it on sick birds. We have been slowly picking them off. I dont know how else to help him! Does anyone have any idea what could be wrong?

So they can still pick out landmarks and structures?

First flight can be a little tricky especially if they are 'hawk chased'. Pigeons like all fowl hate change and initially the snow cover does throw them off. I would always place a couple of veterans in each kit box to show the way home.

Sorry for terrible photos lol! The second photo is his good eye. Also forgot to mention he ate a little bit of formula.

Attachments

• 20190115_202935.jpg
    20190115_202935.jpg
    317.1 KB · Views: 12
  • 20190115_202852.jpg
    20190115_202852.jpg
    268.1 KB · Views: 13
  • 20190115_203003.jpg
    20190115_203003.jpg
    217.5 KB · Views: 12

Back
Top Bottom