Pigeon Talk

I'm just saying... The one inch thing is silly. They drink just fine with less. Its not a husbandry issue to have shallower waterers. Its not any harder to drink from a shallower dish. And the waterer shown which kicked off the tangent looked fine.
Ok. From my experience, when they try to drink from water less than 1inch deep they push their beak all the way to the bottom trying to find the deepest part. This is just my experience though and others may have had different ones. But of course with olives beak size, you are probably fine with your waterer. I was just trying to help others. :)

I'm behind again. . but this made me think of you guys!
Capture+_2019-03-04-21-39-26.png

I want to switch over to box perches in my loft sometime soon. I'm definitely not going to stuff 12 birds in here but I'd like to have as many as possible to mitigate the constant bickering in there.

I'm thinking 9x11 boxes made of 1x6 boards, does that sound right? I'm probably going to set them forward a bit from the back wall too to make scraping easier.

Attachments

• box perch.PNG
    box perch.PNG
    36.1 KB · Views: 6
I want to switch over to box perches in my loft sometime soon. I'm definitely not going to stuff 12 birds in here but I'd like to have as many as possible to mitigate the constant bickering in there.

I'm thinking 9x11 boxes made of 1x6 boards, does that sound right? I'm probably going to set them forward a bit from the back wall too to make scraping easier.
Yup sounds good!

Was able to get a quick shot of one baby under proud daddy Rocky
He wouldn’t let me see the other one, but at least I see one alive.
Super cold today, only 24F at the moment.
View attachment 1690558
:love:love:love:love
Whoa, the quote things seem different. Was that an update? I had to click "insert quote" on the bottom left of the dialog box. Maybe that's where they went. Hope the wifi gets better too. That would be the end of me. lol.
More of a check in than an update..:)
Wifi seems to be doing a little better this morning.. we'll see..:fl
As promised, a new video with Ethel and her egg. Still no second egg. Hoping for one today. I know the kids kept checking. I wonder if that's stressing her out.

:love:love:love

I'm behind again. . but this made me think of you guys! View attachment 1691247
:lau:gig:gig

I use juice cartons with a hole cut into the side to water my birds, the square shape means they're difficult to tip over and they're easy to break ice out of or replace when dirty.

Hmmmm, you use juice cartons, I use plastic coffee containers. I think that says that you are too healthy, and I am not. :lau

We got egg number 2 yesterday. Expected to hatch around the 21st. I'm going to candle them next week to see how they are developing. The ducks have also been going at it. I might let them keep some eggs if someone gets broody (ok, no more duck talk).

:celebrate

I had to laugh at your daughter being barefoot. Love it!! I never wore shoes as a kid, but around the chickens and ducks and pigeons.... I think my shoes are a necessity. :lol:
Loft is looking great! Congrats on the second egg.
And you don’t really have to wait a whole week to candle. I saw development at day 4, I think. The eggs are so nice and clear.

Wish my ducks would let me scratch their heads like that! I can darn-near step on them most times, but they run from hands!

Back
Top Bottom