Pigeon Talk

Aaaanddd they cracked their egg and flung it out of the nest and across their cage.

Help, I was sold defective birds. Lol.

But in all seriousness, I think I'm going to start looking for a second pair to buy because this is getting me nowhere.
My thought what I would try;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
First, I would place a plastic egg into nest so the DB.s do not try to lay another egg too soon. Then if one other set of Non DB.s does look like going to lay eggs soon,,,,,,,,, remove plastic and hope DB's lay another egg.
Have NonDB's surrogate the chosen eggs.
I know that the timing does get challenging :fl

My thought what I would try;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
First, I would place a plastic egg into nest so the DB.s do not try to lay another egg too soon. Then if one other set of Non DB.s does look like going to lay eggs soon,,,,,,,,, remove plastic and hope DB's lay another egg.
Have NonDB's surrogate the chosen eggs.
I know that the timing does get challenging :fl

I sold all my pigeons except this pair, so I don't have anyone to foster :(

Snapchat-767341474.jpg
Snapchat-1547400757.jpg

Haven't had any hawk attacks knock on wood so I've been letting the flock out a bit. They're pretty lazy (though they've always been) and haven't been doing much flying but they did have a good time bathing in the gutters and eating grit off the shingles.

View attachment 2015722View attachment 2015724
Haven't had any hawk attacks knock on wood so I've been letting the flock out a bit. They're pretty lazy (though they've always been) and haven't been doing much flying but they did have a good time bathing in the gutters and eating grit off the shingles.
I love the silhouette photo!! 🥰
What breed do you have? I’m sure you’ve mentioned it but I’ve seen so many breeds posted that I can’t remember who has what anymore :oops:

Thing 2, the one with the white back, does what I think are pirouettes when she flies. I got a video of her, I’ll try to slow it down in a video editor and post it somewhere so I can get opinions from people who actually know rollers 🤪 I don’t think Thing 1 does any fancy flying, I’ve only seen Thing 2 doing pirouettes so far.. I noticed her doing them a while back and never really thought anything of it because they were just starting to fly again at that time after the one had been on a flying break while it’s back injuries healed..

About posting videos to here, can it only be a YouTube link? Could I post a video to Instagram and share the post’s link here to show you what shes doing? Or is it YouTube so there’s no need to open another tab?

Hey yall! Sorry I haven't been on for a bit. School has started back up, so I took a break.

What happened to this site??? it took some adjusting,but I'm use to it now.

I have been having some good luck recently! I have 6 squabs; 4 racers, and 2 pure whites. I have two more pairs of whites on eggs getting ready to hatch. They seem all healthy, but I'm reaching the point where I lost last rounds youngsters. So we will see. Sadly, I don't have the money to get NPA bands (pigeon feed is expensive!) So they are getting 2019 bands...

@cavemanrich is remembering Doo, abandoned by the two moms who literally moved away to another nest box and left him behind when he was less than 2 weeks old. [of the four eggs laid, I took two away and only allowed them to incubate two of them. One of the babies died very soon after hatching. Both of these hens later went on to pair up with males and successfully raise young]. If your squeakers are nearly 3 weeks old, I would definitely be offering them seeds and grit and water to play with so they begin to eat on their own. You would be surprsedhow soon they can learn to do this, especially if they have a chance to observe the parents eating and drinking.
Very sad to say Doo was killed in a hawk attack a little over a week ago, along with #738 another of my favorites who is missing since the same incident and is presumed also taken by a hawk. :hit:hit
I am sorry bio. It's never fun to lose birds. Thankfully I am out of the woods with hawks, I think. I have been flying the whites and racers, without any hawks.
I like them a lot! My pair are yellow. I know a breeder with reds and we may do a swap.
so you get 2 eggs instead of one! ;)

Hi everyone!
All of my new 5 are doing well. Today was a lovely “spring” day, for a nice change.

Pics from this week.
I almost waited too long to band Trip/Rocky’s pair, had a tough time getting them on, but I got em. (Apparently didn’t get a pic of them, though I thought I did!) Also banded Bugsy’s baby, so they are all good to go! I used a colored snap band on each also, so I can tell them at a glance now. Yay!

The New Years Eve duo. They’ve come all the way out of the box now and are foraging on the ground, learning to fly

740CED44-0346-4BDC-A765-1B60B1C7C68E.jpeg

one of them with mom Duff.
38D0CAF3-77A4-4ED4-9A1D-DF61DDB3F5FF.jpeg

And momma Bugsy (or Brick?) with their loner
90936087-BF8B-405F-977E-A644EBB08475.jpeg

Can anyone help? A set of my squabs aren't doing good. There crops are small, and full of hard grain. Its kinda bumpy on them both. I wonder if it is the popcorn? it's like they can't digest it. The parents have plenty of grit. Do I need to sort the smaller grain out, and give only the smaller stuff? The other squabs are thriving. This is how I lost the last set of squabs. Any help is much appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom