Pigeon Talk

I’m pretty sure he will since his mate is in there. I contacted the previous owner to give him a heads up that my pigeon may have returned to his place.
That may well happen. If he does, you might want to keep him in until they have some eggs. They are pretty dedicated so there will be a better chance he'd return to you. How long has he been missing?

He’s been missing since around noon yesterday. I had been keeping track of him until then, and I couldnt see him.
The longest I've had any go awol was three days. I've never had any return any longer than that. Some people have had them return after considerably longer. If they haven't been out before they aren't familiar with the area. Hopefully he will turn up at his old loft. Hopefully he'll return to you!

That’s comforting. I’m just worried that a hawk or falcon will get him on his way home. His wings were clipped when I got him and he hasn’t molted since then, but he can still fly.
That is a real possibility. Especially if his wings were clipped. Although he can fly he may not have the agility to outfly a hawk. How come they clipped his wings?

I dont know, I didn’t ask. I was really surprised when they took off, though. Maybe not as fast or agile then pigeons without clipped wings, but still pretty fast. Not sure he could outfly a hawk, though.
Maybe they did it to try and get it to settle with you. Personnally I don't think they should clip the wings. It puts the pigeon at a disadvantage. With a bit of luck though, he'll get back to you soon.

I hope your bird comes back.
Let this be a lesson either way, if you want to fly your birds you may need to distance yourself a bit more. If you are attached as pets keep them safe.
In the pet bird community we don't support flying pigeons in general due to the high risks but especially if you have any individual attachment. They all get caught eventually, well before their potential lifespan of around 25 years. Wild pigeons live 3 to 4 years on average. Its natural to fly sure... But its natural to be eaten too. You cannot provide only the positives of freedom without risking predation or accident so it is up to every owner what they are comfortable with. You seem to view your birds more personally and I would recommend they not be flown, at the very least unless you have six or eight birds. Their only protection is numbers.

Knock on wood I've been flying almost daily and still no hawk attacks.
They're responding a lot better recently, I think a lot of the issues I had starting out was because the poor birds were getting attacked by hawks every single time they were out so they it took a while before any training stuck with them. I've been seeing the hawk come by almost every morning and attack the aviary then leave and not show up until the next morning, as far as I know its been keeping busy hunting the sparrows at the barn down the street.
Attach2144_20200215_121626.jpg
Screenshot_20200216-114309_Video Player.jpg

Guess what. I got Peach back, but he didn’t come home on his own record.
So apparently him and Kiwi were flying over my great-uncle’s house, and Peach went and hit the window. Kiwi kept on flying. So myuncle goes and puts him in a tree so that the cats don’t get him. He doesn’t go so my uncle brings him inside. Took a picture, sent it to his family.
Family is all like “that’s a white bird, it’s special and holy, keep it,” getting him all up on his high horse. So he was getting attached.
Then him and my aunt go to visit my grandparents. Uncle brings up that he found a white pigeon and my grandma’s all like, “hey, my granddaughter lost a white pigeon yesterday.” And so he shows her the picture and my grandma asks me what my pigeon looks like. I send her a picture and she’s like “oh yeah, that’s him.” My uncles all like, “no, I don’t think that’s him,” because he’s being a greedy bastard wanting to keep my pigeon. Like, we don’t get pigeons where I live, especially not big white ones. So, after they argue for a bit, my grandma returns me my pigeon. Definitely a close call. Peach doesn’t seem hurt at all, which is good. Such a coincidence that he hit my uncles window, who lives about two miles away.

Back
Top Bottom