Pigeon Talk

Cyril and Clara have an egg again - but it looks really small. Maybe it's not too small, but do pigeons ever have 'fairy eggs' like chickens do?
Pigeons will sometimes lay small eggs when it's the first time. Odd eggs can also happen if they lay too much/often. And also sometimes when they get old and near the end of their laying life they will often lay only one egg, or an odd sized/shaped egg.

Pigeons will sometimes lay small eggs when it's the first time. Odd eggs can also happen if they lay too much/often. And also sometimes when they get old and near the end of their laying life they will often lay only one egg, or an odd sized/shaped egg.

It's not their first time, nor are they getting too old (they're two) but the hen has always laid only one egg. I guess I'll check this one in a few days to see if it's doing anything.

Bath time, then some nuzzling.

Sometimes she likes to wrestle my hand a bit - she has some male traits, like she will try to drive my hand into chosen nest sites sometimes like a cockbird. I read hens will often do so as pets as they learn to be more forward to communicate since people don't understand all their subtle social cues as well.

0213201745a.jpg
0213201748.jpg
0214201151g.jpg

No... unfortunately chickens (poultry in general) are not allowed in my town. Pigeons are allowed because a long time ago someone took the town to court over it and won and it's now allowed. I suppose chickens are technically allowed, but you have to go through and get your neighbors to sign some kind of petition and then present it to the town board and wait and see if they vote to approve a permit for you (plus I think you have to reapply/renew it every year or 2). Basically I have a couple neighbors who I don't see eye to eye with, and also don't feel like it's worth all the extra trouble just to be able to have like 3 chickens max. So it's just my pigeons for me... which I'm fine with:thumbsup

Often old world quail arent regulated :p the Japanese cotunix are a really great substitute for chickens :love

If she has always only laid one egg, then I suppose it could be some kind of genetic defect. Have they ever hatched a baby?

I dunno if they did for their first owner, but for me they have not. They almost hatched one last fall, but it died hatching because it was backwards in the egg.

Back
Top Bottom