Pigeon Talk

Anybody know the breed of this bird? He was found by the same lady who found one of my other rescues. He looks pretty young to me. Any info about his band or anything else would also be helpful. She said she would send me more pictures soon so I may post those later as well. I may adopt it if we can't find anywhere else for him, I have a good amount of room in my aviary for him. Thanks!
received_281098576362597.jpeg

Attachments

• received_377375806554349.jpeg
    received_377375806554349.jpeg
    146.6 KB · Views: 4
Anybody know the breed of this bird? He was found by the same lady who found one of my other rescues. He looks pretty young to me. Any info about his band or anything else would also be helpful. She said she would send me more pictures soon so I may post those later as well. I may adopt it if we can't find anywhere else for him, I have a good amount of room in my aviary for him. Thanks!View attachment 2161094
Of course you should keep him!! :lol:
The band is the clip-on type and the number would mean something to the breeder/owner but not helpful to locate owner.

Of course you should keep him!! :lol:
The band is the clip-on type and the number would mean something to the breeder/owner but not helpful to locate owner.

I'd love to have him. What's holding me back right now is that I can't afford to take him to the vet. I'd really rather not put him with my other birds until I know exactly what's going on with him. Apparently he was found on the side of the highway stunned and he couldn't even jump up onto a curb so there may be some other damage going on that isn't apparent as well. :( She did say hes acting normal and healthy so hopefully he stays that way. I guess if it comes down to it I'll take him in and he can live in a quarantine cage for a couple weeks before I put him in the aviary. I told her to post online and if anyone else happens to be able to give him a better home and can pay for vet bills then they can take him, if not I will take him. Very unlikely he will find a home other than me as their aren't many pigeon fanciers in my area, especially not ones looking to rescue birds or anything like that haha. He does look really adorable and I'd love to have him in my flock as long as he doesn't have any expensive health conditions lol.

I'd love to have him. What's holding me back right now is that I can't afford to take him to the vet. I'd really rather not put him with my other birds until I know exactly what's going on with him. Apparently he was found on the side of the highway stunned and he couldn't even jump up onto a curb so there may be some other damage going on that isn't apparent as well. :( She did say hes acting normal and healthy so hopefully he stays that way. I guess if it comes down to it I'll take him in and he can live in a quarantine cage for a couple weeks before I put him in the aviary. I told her to post online and if anyone else happens to be able to give him a better home and can pay for vet bills then they can take him, if not I will take him. Very unlikely he will find a home other than me as their aren't many pigeon fanciers in my area, especially not ones looking to rescue birds or anything like that haha. He does look really adorable and I'd love to have him in my flock as long as he doesn't have any expensive health conditions lol.
Pigeons rarely have expensive health conditions that a vet can help with and fanciers tend to treat their own birds. I will have a flock of 20 again soon and vet care is really beyond my resources. That said, I did take one of my birds to the vet one time when she couldn't fly. I wanted to see how the vet would examine the wings for breaks. I suggest you quarantine in a cage for a week or two. Look inside the mouth for canker lesions. Make sure he is eating, drinking, bright eyed and normal activity. Check the feathers for parasites. If you want to spend a little bit get a fecal sample analyzed for worms and salmonella. If the bird seems healthy you probly have little to worry about.
I predict this 'fancy' pigeon is going to become your moms favorite. LOL

If he was injured by a car or flying into a wire or something else it may take some time to recover, but a vet would probably not be able to do anything to make it faster. I had my bird on cage rest for several months before she started flying just a little. At six months she was flying well. Can this bird fly? I'm not sure what she means by 'acting normal'

Pigeons rarely have expensive health conditions that a vet can help with and fanciers tend to treat their own birds. I will have a flock of 20 again soon and vet care is really beyond my resources. That said, I did take one of my birds to the vet one time when she couldn't fly. I wanted to see how the vet would examine the wings for breaks. I suggest you quarantine in a cage for a week or two. Look inside the mouth for canker lesions. Make sure he is eating, drinking, bright eyed and normal activity. Check the feathers for parasites. If you want to spend a little bit get a fecal sample analyzed for worms and salmonella. If the bird seems healthy you probly have little to worry about.
I predict this 'fancy' pigeon is going to become your moms favorite. LOL

If he was injured by a car or flying into a wire or something else it may take some time to recover, but a vet would probably not be able to do anything to make it faster. I had my bird on cage rest for several months before she started flying just a little. At six months she was flying well. Can this bird fly? I'm not sure what she means by 'acting normal'

You're probably right. I took my first few pigeons in to the vet because I honestly didn't have much experience with birds beyond my 2 parakeets. A few had mites and two had respiratory infections. They were treated with ivermectin and antibiotics. Now that I've had these guys for a while, and especially now that I have a few books on their way, I'll probably be able to take care of him and treat him on my own, or just let him heal naturally if it's not too bad. I also have this page for advice as well, haha. We will have to see. If I do adopt him it will be at least a week until then so I have plenty of time to get things ready. I used to keep a couple of my birds in a giant dog crate inside before I had the loft, so I do have supplies for a quarantine cage.

As far as his behavior, she said he is eating, drinking, and pooping as normal which is great. He's also pecking and wingslapping which is a good sign as well. She's been talking to him and working on getting him more hand tamed and he seems receptive and friendly. She has checked for mites and he seems to be clear. She treated one of my other birds for mites as well so I trust her. If he does have them I have some mite spray around to treat him. I'm unsure if he can fly or not because he's been in a cage, I'm guessing he can as she hasn't mentioned anything wrong with his wings, and he is acting pretty alert.

My mom definitely likes him already. She loves the fancy breeds haha. Thanks for your advice!!

Back
Top Bottom