Pigeon Talk

That’s pretty cool! I wonder why he hatched leg first?

I didn’t see it until it had the leg stuck out, so i have no idea how it started. Maybe mom/dad tried to help? Maybe it pipped on the wrong end and just made a big hole and the leg slipped out? Hard to tell. I’m glad it made it out though.

I didn’t see it until it had the leg stuck out, so i have no idea how it started. Maybe mom/dad tried to help? Maybe it pipped on the wrong end and just made a big hole and the leg slipped out? Hard to tell. I’m glad it made it out though.

When I had my first squab hatch the father accidentally pecked a hole into the egg in the area near a foot a few hours before he had pipped. You could see his foot wiggling and it almost came out. Perhaps something similar happened here? The end product of the egg is still a little weird though haha.

Found this little guy in the street today. I've been told he's a common grackle. I know usually you aren't supposed to pick up wild fledglings but he can't stand up on his own, he just flops to one side. I think he may have splayed legs. He was having a really tough time getting around and nearly got run over. Parents were also no where to be seen after a few hours of watching. He's in a dark box for tonight and I'll call the rehab center tomorrow. I'm sure someone here is pretty knowledgeable about splayed legs in pigeons. Does that look like the case here?

Attachments

• IMG_20200530_220341.jpg
    IMG_20200530_220341.jpg
    574.5 KB · Views: 5
Hi Everyone, first post here.

My fiance and I have just bought a place with a few acres out in the country. This means that we can finally look into owning some poultry. Ever since watching a documentary on racing pigeons, i'd decided i'd like to have some at some point. Though i'm in the Midwest, and the're really aren't too many people interested in pigeons here.

I've tried to do some research, but seem to be having some issues finding info. Would someone be able to point me in the right direction for some research material for someone looking into pigeons? Stuff like coop design, feeding, training, where to find breeding pairs, etc. I've looked at the articles on here, but there are only a couple short ones.

I'm not planning showing or racing, so i'm not too concerned about pedigree or something like that, but I would love to find a "show flight pigeon" I found the domestic show flight pigeon on a google search and would love to find some birds similar.

Thanks!

That definitely looks like splayed leg. I cared for one years ago that I found that had one of its eyes pecked out. I took care of it for a couple weeks and then handed it over to a rehabber and he was released :) Hopefully they'll be able to fix it!

@NBraun the absolute best place to look is on your local craigslist or do a search of pigeon clubs in the area. I'm not sure about show flights but they might be available. Racing homers are going to be the ones that are easiest to find. Youtube is a great resource as well and we can answer a lot of specific questions here!

Hi Everyone, first post here.

My fiance and I have just bought a place with a few acres out in the country. This means that we can finally look into owning some poultry. Ever since watching a documentary on racing pigeons, i'd decided i'd like to have some at some point. Though i'm in the Midwest, and the're really aren't too many people interested in pigeons here.

I've tried to do some research, but seem to be having some issues finding info. Would someone be able to point me in the right direction for some research material for someone looking into pigeons? Stuff like coop design, feeding, training, where to find breeding pairs, etc. I've looked at the articles on here, but there are only a couple short ones.

I'm not planning showing or racing, so i'm not too concerned about pedigree or something like that, but I would love to find a "show flight pigeon" I found the domestic show flight pigeon on a google search and would love to find some birds similar.

Thanks!

Hi and welcome to our little pigeon community! We always like to have new members! As for getting pigeons I’d search Craigslist or Facebook groups. You can also check local animal shelters for them.

NBraun

Welcome to :welcome and this Very Active pigeon thread. You wrote you are in the Midwest. Would help to somewhat narrow that to a more specific location in your profile. Not your address,
byc tut tut.gif
just town, or state would be right. I currently am Pigeon-less, but if you were near Chicago, I could direct you to a few places to get some beauties. (places I purchased from)
There are a number of regular posters here that are also in the Midwest.
You can ask any-kind of question here, or post in this Pigeons, and Doves Forum. Many pigeon fanciers scan the forum for new postings/threads started.
If you have time, just read as many posts here, and you will learn much. :thumbsup

Back
Top Bottom