Pigeon Talk

Awwwwww.
I tried buttons once but mine were just to nutty for me.
I need to try them again when I can make time to handle them daily from hatch so they won't be so nuts.
Huh. Mine are pretty calm, and i rarely handle them much. I just leave them be I think behaviour is pretty genitic, but I'm not sure. If you ever need some button eggs, let me know. I got a bunch of colors. and They are soo close to laying eggs!

Huh. Mine are pretty calm, and i rarely handle them much. I just leave them be I think behaviour is pretty genitic, but I'm not sure. If you ever need some button eggs, let me know. I got a bunch of colors. and They are soo close to laying eggs!
😍

Kiwi and Peach are getting VERY protective over their new babies, and they don’t allow Nugget anywhere close, hissing and lunging at him when he perches too close. They’ve also been kicking him off the platform, and biting the back of his neck and pulling his feathers. If one of the parents is on the ground at the same time as Nugget, they will actively chase him and bite him. Is this normal? It doesn’t seem to be hurting him, at least not too much. They’re not plucking feathers or anything, just kind of grabbing him and pulling him around. Poor Nuggets taken to standing on top of the waterer most of the time so I put him his own little platform to make it easier for him to stand.

I also got some plastic clip on bands for them and wrote my number in sharpie. Nuggets been taking little flights around the yard when I bring him out and make sure there’s no danger in the sky. When he’s done he always lands at the coop door and waits to be let in.

Kiwi and Peach are getting VERY protective over their new babies, and they don’t allow Nugget anywhere close, hissing and lunging at him when he perches too close. They’ve also been kicking him off the platform, and biting the back of his neck and pulling his feathers. If one of the parents is on the ground at the same time as Nugget, they will actively chase him and bite him. Is this normal? It doesn’t seem to be hurting him, at least not too much. They’re not plucking feathers or anything, just kind of grabbing him and pulling him around. Poor Nuggets taken to standing on top of the waterer most of the time so I put him his own little platform to make it easier for him to stand.

I also got some plastic clip on bands for them and wrote my number in sharpie. Nuggets been taking little flights around the yard when I bring him out and make sure there’s no danger in the sky. When he’s done he always lands at the coop door and waits to be let in.
Yeah, poor Nugget needs to have his own platform or perch. It is normal for the parents to be very protective of their nest area. Be sure the food and water are placed where he can get to them. When the new babies are weaned they also will need their own perches, so start planning to remodel their housing a bit. :D

Yeah, poor Nugget needs to have his own platform or perch. It is normal for the parents to be very protective of their nest area. Be sure the food and water are placed where he can get to them. When the new babies are weaned they also will need their own perches, so start planning to remodel their housing a bit. :D
Thanks bio. I’m planning on beginning to move their perches when the babies are a bit older in a week or two to the opposite wall. Quick before Kiwi is down on even more eggs!

It only works with a single chick, even a brood of three were impossible to tame.
that's fascinating how much genetics take play into it. My birds were rarely handled (like once a day, for a few seconds) and they will eat out of my hand, and allow me to pick them up. And they have 48 square feet to flee from me!
Is this normal?
yes, somewhat. My guess is, that being the only other pigeon around, there beating him up more. But in a flock, it would not just be him singled out, if they makes since. As long as he gets food, water, and rest he will be just fine.

I let the pigeons out late this evening
I have started doing the exact same thing with my birds. My reasons may be different than your however. I have been plagued with hawk attacks. I find in the late evening hawks are done hunting for the day.

Since I adopted this policy it has reduced my losses considerably. I have lost the occasional bird do to the lengthening of the daylight hours. I would recommend the same solution to any Pigeon Fancier experiencing the same problem.

Two hours before sunset seems to work best.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom