Pigeon Talk

Today was quite the day. A neighborhood about two miles from now had a pigeon hanging around, a beautiful red with white flights. It has bands, so I knew it was a domestic one. Well, some of our friends contacted me to see if it was mine. It isnt, but I told them I would catch it and locate the owner if I could. So, I went out there with 4 old birds to try to attract the bird down, but if I couldnt, I would toss them in hopes of them bringing it home. Well, I went out, didn't see it. I finally saw it fly out of a fenced in yard, up into the tree. So I put the cage out and after a few minutes, nothing. I then tossed the birds and it took off with them! It flew with them while they got their bearings, but landed again. This time in the ground! I went slowly with a net, and caught it. It is a 2020 race bird from near Huntsville AL, about 80 miles south of me. I contacted the club Secretary and waiting for a response. I'm hoping he knows who's bird it is. As of know, it's in our garage with food and water with electrolytes. It is dehydrated, and malnourished, but I'm fixing that problem. It was obviously fed a grain mixture without corn, as it won't touch corn or pellets. Hopefully I can find the owner and work out details. Though,,,, I wouldn't mind to call it mine. :)
IMG_20200714_165532.jpg
IMG_20200714_165535.jpg

BP.... you are the pigeon rescuer :hugs .. I know you will nurse it back to healthy level.
My wondering questions are; Is this bird just lost during a recent race, like 2 or 3 days ago???? or was race sometime ago, and pigeon has been out in the wild for some time. :idunno
80 miles is not all that far for a fancier to come and pick up his pigeon. All things are of course to consider. Maybe fancier is a young person with no means to travel? Maybe pigeon is part of a large flock, and no significance of value to fancier???
Couple different things may turn out. Fancier may ask that you just release him, when he regains some strength. In that case, you would honor that request. If you release him, and pigeon decides to return to your loft on his own,,, then I would just keep him. @CCUK ,,,, I'm getting a Boomer Déjà vu

Back
Top Bottom