Pigeon Talk

This is the hen.
5A70CB64-D2E5-4EC0-AD3C-4B25A7B8569F.jpeg

Most of my pigeons are descendants of a local barn pigeon I hatched from an egg, and I actually think it added in a lot of good genetics from years of surviving in good old Minnesota.
Just curious how and what you do with your flock of pigeons?? Do you loft fly often? Do you also do some tosses, and from what distance?
You did mention that you are expecting some hatching in this cold season. I avoided that activity by replacing eggs with plastics. Warm weather, and all was full speed ahead at pigeons will.
One winter when some did hatch, I placed a heat lamp under the area where pigeons were in nest bowl. That is not same as a heat lamp above like a chicken brooder. It did make the temperature in bowl slightly warmer than the ambient. If I was to do it again, I would opt for an electric blanket, (small) or a seed starter pad, directly under nestbowl. I have ways to control the amount of heat output to my desired amount , using a dimmer switch.
I am using that system to keep water from freezing in 4 containers as pictured inside winter chicken housing at this very time. I adjust so water temperature is not cold to my finger touch
Not this exact one, but just like it.
1611819174521.png

I like the removable inner dish for easy washing. Don't have to remove the complete unit to clean.

Most of my pigeons are descendants of a local barn pigeon I hatched from an egg, and I actually think it added in a lot of good genetics from years of surviving in good old Minnesota.
That's cool! Two of the hens in my loft were volunteers that joined my flock from the feral flock across the street. One we call 'New Girl' is very friendly and looks like yours, the other is a fierce little blue bar with lightly feathered legs that may add to her comfort in the cold WI winters.
Kudos to you for successfully raising one from egg! :thumbsup

That's cool! Two of the hens in my loft were volunteers that joined my flock from the feral flock across the street. One we call 'New Girl' is very friendly and looks like yours, the other is a fierce little blue bar with lightly feathered legs that may add to her comfort in the cold WI winters.
Kudos to you for successfully raising one from egg! :thumbsup
Thank you! My brothers and I actually caught a pair and then they laid one egg, so we put the egg under one of my pairs. That’s how we got her. We released the parents back to the farm we got them at. I actually have three barred pigeons now that randomly popped up, so that means the feral dna is still alive in my flock! New girl is a great name!😂

@backyard pigeons best of luck at the show. Obviously we expect pictures!

I took a few pics at feeding time this morning. Cold cold morning here, around 25 degrees. Brrrr
View attachment 2506103View attachment 2506104View attachment 2506105View attachment 2506106View attachment 2506107View attachment 2506108
Thanks! I'm down south now, and am LOVING the 65 degree weather! Yes, ill do my best to get photos.

Sadly, there is only one exhibitor showing Classic Frills, all in the Sattinette color. I thought they were doing better in popularity, but must be a more northern breed.
but they enjoyed coming out in the snow today.
I wish I had their enthusiasm. I don't necessarily like going out in the snow, especially barefoot like they are!

Back
Top Bottom