pigs for butchering

danielle82

A Good Egg
10 Years
Apr 27, 2009
Tonasket Wa
Hi guys, My husband wants to get a pig for meat. I have already told him that we need two, not one as in my opionion animals need companionship (even if they are slated for butcher they need a quality life) I know nothing about pigs and am hoping I can get some feedback on this "plan" I have for my meat pigs.
I will get two in march as weanlings, put them in a 16 x 16 pen made from hog panels. we plan on moving those around the yard so that they can eat up the back part of our lot. I will have a movable 3 sided shed to move around with their pen. I would like to have them to a butcherable weight by octoberish. Is this possible? any flaws with my plan? I have yet to research feed types, so if you have any suggestions there would be appreciated!

Thanks

time line works out...you should be able to take a 10-15 lb animal to 280 or so in that amount of time. Just be aware that pigs are strong and escape artists. if you can move it around easily it might not be strong enough to hold a pig in. As far as feed goes...there are many rations on the market. Pigs will eat anything.

Back
Top Bottom