Pine...sawdust?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by KDailey, Jun 30, 2011.

1. KDailey

KDailey Crazy Cochin Lady

Jun 27, 2011
    Bronson, Tx
    So I've read Pine shaving is best for chickens. NO CEDAR because it will kill my little babies.

But... what about pine sawdust? BF is sawing pine logs for our house and when I said that the chickens needed pine shavings he asked if it would be ok to use the sawdust created when he saws logs.

Would it harm the chicks? If it shouldn't then my only concern would be it sticking to things, etc

2. ailurophile23

ailurophile23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2010
    VA
    We have horses so we have a BIG sawdust bin for their stalls. So we use sawdust for the chickens. I have, in a pinch, bought a bag of pine shavings and I have to say that I liked the pine shavings better but since we buy the sawdust in bulk and it is much cheaper and readily accessible, it works just fine. I think the biggest difference is the amount of dust - sawdust is dustier but not so much so that I won't use it. I just make sure that there is plenty of ventillation when I am cleaning out the coop or if I stir things up. We've had chickens for a year and sawdust seems to be fine so far.

3. KDailey

KDailey Crazy Cochin Lady

Jun 27, 2011
    Bronson, Tx
    Would you suggest using it in the brooder that's in the house? Or is it way too dusty?

4. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Would you suggest using it in the brooder that's in the house?

I wouldn't

It's too messy and the fine dust probably isn't good for them to breath​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by