Pine Shaving

cdbutler70

Chirping
Nov 23, 2019
MS
Here is a peak of the new bedding. Rain and wind did a number on my run yesterday. Cleaned out the old to the dirt and started over.

Attachments

• 20200112_130851.jpg
    20200112_130851.jpg
    880.1 KB · Views: 26
I used four pick up truck loads in my 30x10 run. I have a childhood friend who owns a tree service. All the wood chips I want for free. They are still cheap. He gets $35 a truck load.
Most trimmers have to pay to dump them...and are more than happy to have a 'free' place. Around here you got to cut them off or you'll end up with a mountain range of them.

So these only lasted less than 10 days?
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/new-shavings.1344223/

I'd suggest getting some wood chippings, couple inches of these and you'll never have to 'change them out' again....just add more and some other dry plant matter once in awhile.

Do you have any suggestions on where to find wood chippings? Of course I realize that we're not in the same location, but is it best to call tree removal businesses and ask them about their "wood chippings"? Any other businesses that may be helpful in finding these? I'm still using sand at the moment, but I'd love to try this! I remember you saying that the poop doesn't just sit on top for everyone to constantly walk through and spread everywhere. That'd be a dream come true! Thank you for any help

but is it best to call tree removal businesses and ask them about their "wood chippings"?
Yep, that's worth a try.
Does your town have a place to dump yard waste, that's where I fund my last batch.
Or if you see the power company clearing lines, that another good way to get some.
It can be hard to find them, best of you have a place to store a big pile that'll last a few years.

Yep, that's worth a try.
Does your town have a place to dump yard waste, that's where I fund my last batch.
Or if you see the power company clearing lines, that another good way to get some.
It can be hard to find them, best of you have a place to store a big pile that'll last a few years.

Thank you! We do have a location for the county folks to dump their yard waste. I'll try contacting them tomorrow. If I'm lucky enough to obtain some, is there anything special that I will need to do before spreading them in the run? Any treatments needed since I probably won't have any idea where they'll be from? Then is it best if I shovel out all of the sand and then spread wood chips or just spread them right over the top of the sand, chopped alfalfa, and pine straw?

Back
Top Bottom