pine shavings or hay?

I use shavings for everything, for multiple reasons..... Like some other people said CHICKENS EAT HAY! And yes, it can lead to an impacted crop, which requires surgery. My chickens like to dig in it and stomp through it and everything else they could possibly do to grind it into the dirt. Also, straw up here cost $9 a bale! UGH! And my neighbor has a mill and gives me shavings for free... YAY! He says that if I didn't take them he would have to pay somebody to haul them away!

So I would suggest that you gets shavings but it is your personal choice...

Do you think they meant straw? Isn't it the straw that's bedding and the hay that's food?
hmm.png

Despite frequent confusion between the terms I'd assume here that hay means hay; certainly there are a bunch of BYCers who use it for bedding, or in the run. Dunno though, my telepathy isn't working today <g>

As bedding, straw has the same "not being nearly so easy to clean out" properties as hay, unless you have access to chopped straw; but of course, yes, you are not taking food out of anyone's mouths, so to speak.

Pat​

Thank you all. I think i am going to give it a go with just pine shavings for the coop floor and nest boxes!!!!! I read that hens like to rearrange hay and such when they are in nesting mode, does using shavings only inhibit this? has anyone notice problems by using shavings only in the nest boxes? Possibly hens are not as eager to nest in boxes with shavings only?

They rearrange shavings too
tongue.png
(Hence it's wise to have at least 4" high, or higher, lip on the front of the nestbox, to hold the bedding in somewhat)

I've not had any problems with floor eggs despite never using anything but shavings in the boxes.

Pat

i use hay in the nest boxes and on the floor i mix in dried leaves from the yard with pine shavings. it stays warm and doesn't get to soggy from the messy goose and duck.

$9!? That's outrageous, must not have many wheat fields around? I can get it for as low as $2.50.

HOLY COW! I pay $12.50 for a bale of straw here! Man I hate California.
somad.gif

I use straw in my coop and only change it once every 6 months or so. The coop is big and this works very well for me.​

I started by using pine shavings, but they generated more dust than I liked. Lately I've been using straw (hay in a pinch, but they do seem to like to eat that, and it doesn't seem as dry). Tried shredded straw mulch, but they kick it out of the nest boxes very quickly. I'm tempted by the method of letting litter accumulate during the winter, but always end up changing it because of the ammonia smell. My henhouse is raised, with a cement-board floor. Any advice?

Back
Top Bottom