pink egg laying EE?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by warhorse, Mar 23, 2009.

1. warhorse

warhorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2008
    Cibolo, TX
    If an EE reliably lays a pink egg, is there any way to try to replicate that in offspring? Is there anyone who "breeds and sells" pink egg laying EE?

2. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2007
    Washington State
    No. When breeding EE's you are rolling the dice as to what kind of egg you will get from their progeny.

God Bless,

3. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    when you got EE's do they lay the same color egg everytime or does it go blue, green, blue, pink, ?

4. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    A hen always lays the same colour of egg--it will get lighter in shade as she progresses through a laying cycle, but after a broody spell or molt it will start as dark as it ever was.

5. rancher hicks

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    oh yeah if you breed a blue laying EE w/ Ro from a Blue laying EE do you get a blue laying EE. What about a Ro from a blue egg does that have any bearing on progeny. Anybody tried just hatching chicks from one color egg and crossing those w/ others hatched from the same color egg.

6. rancher hicks

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Why hasn't anyone answered my question?

7. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

I may be wrong, but I think a "pink" egg is simply a light brown egg, it is all in the tint/shade of the egg.

If you breed a rooster that came from a blue egg to a hen that lays blue eggs, you "should" get blue eggs from the resulting pullet.

If I am not right, some one please correct me.....

8. ThiefPouter06

ThiefPouter06 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2008
    green co. KY
    I was looking at my pink EE egg and I wonder if "pink" is a hen carrying one gene of brown, therefore making a lighter brown egg.

9. Huny

Huny Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2008
    Sunny Southern Arizona
    I thought you could get pink from certain production reds "Cherry Eggers". I thought all the EE were blues/greens and maybe a lavender.

10. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

Cherry eggers are just a RIR/Leghorn cross, and they lay a light brown egg. That is where the nick name cherry egger comes from.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by