Pinless Peepers question

OldFashionedSugarCone

In the Brooder
Nov 14, 2022
I have an Easter Egger who has recently become aggressive towards some of my younger hens. I’ve tried putting her in temporary chicken jail and separating her from the others short term, but she goes back to bullying and pecking at the younger girls, making their combs bleed, mounting them and attacking them…it’s really sad.
I don’t know why - she used to be so sweet. But I know chicken dynamics can change…
I’m not getting rid of her and we don’t eat chicken- she’s not getting culled. So that’s not a solution. Plus, we love her beautiful eggs (often double yolk) and she’s generally a good girl, except for this recent behavior.
I’m ordering Pinless Peepers to give that a try, because I’ve heard good things about them, but I’m wondering: How do the hens see where to jump when getting into their nesting boxes that require jumping up and into? Our nesting boxes are about 18” off the ground.

Last edited:
Question about painless peepers. Do they actually sit inside the nostrils? That seems super uncomfortable. I also because I have an EE that does the neck grooming at night on at least 2 other hens which necks are bald.. she has recently started doing it to the rooster and for some reason not one of them seems to mind it. Very strange, but the feathers won't grow back until I get rid of her or break her of this habit.. thoughts? I have heard a lot of good things about the peepers

My opinion is that pinless peepers are cruel. They ram bits of hard plastic into their nostrils.

I would separate the pecky hen at night for a week, and see if that breaks the habit.

My opinion is that pinless peepers are cruel. They ram bits of hard plastic into their nostrils.

I would separate the pecky hen at night for a week, and see if that breaks the habit.
Thank you.. I was thinking the same thing.. seems it would be hard to breath.. idk thanks for the response

Thank you.. I was thinking the same thing.. seems it would be hard to breath.. idk thanks for the response

I have just had some success with one of mine. I'm doing a multi-integration of different aged chicks with broodies into the flock right now, and a Welsummer I have was trying to take the top dog slot. She was pecking the babies off the roosts, so to avoid injury and bring her down a peg in the hierarchy, I put her in a cat crate for a couple of nights inside the coop. Tonight, when I went to sort them out at roosting time, she had sacrificed the prime roosting spot to a hen with babies and was roosting on another bar. No shenanigans tonight. I will monitor the situation, but 2 nights later she has learned her lesson (I hope).

Back
Top Bottom