Pinning down a rooster - does it work?

I was flogged by one of my own roosters after helping a guy catch some hens I sold him.The hens will get you flogged when they start that squawking
I agree, that can easily make a rooster angry because he thinks you are trying to harm his hens. That is actually a good thing for him to be protective of his females, but not too much. My rooster doesn't care if I make one of the hens squat in front of him. All he does is make a warning call when I pick a flighty, screaming hen up, but he goes about his own business. He has a weird personality but it's great.

Here is the list I made:

When feeding treats, offer them to the rooster first.
Don't pick up the hens in his presence.
Be careful when collecting eggs. He may or may not tolerate it.
Don't fight with your feet.
Groom him by 'pinching' feathers around his neck and wattles.
No eye contact.
Don't move out of the way.
Keep your personal space.
Don't chase him.
Don't back away.
Don't hunch over.
Talk out loud to them.
Keep your broom with you!

Here is the list I made:

When feeding treats, offer them to the rooster first.
Don't pick up the hens in his presence.
Be careful when collecting eggs. He may or may not tolerate it.
Don't fight with your feet.
Groom him by 'pinching' feathers around his neck and wattles.
No eye contact.
Don't move out of the way.
Keep your personal space.
Don't chase him.
Don't back away.
Don't hunch over.
Talk out loud to them.
Keep your broom with you!

Sounds good

Given that my hens are MY hens -- I have them as "pets with benefits" and for the enjoyment of hanging out with them, petting the ones who like it, engaging with them over hand-fed treats and trying out different coop-clutter entertainments for them, etc. -- I would not want a rooster to completely change our flock dynamic.

Have to ask: Why do you want this roo? Sounds like breeding would be unwise (his temperament); if not that, for what reasons would you completely change your behaviors with your hens to keep him?

Good questions. I'll admit, I didn't realize that the dynamic changed so much. Still learning. I think it will be a good experience though.

My reasons for a roo: Predator protector, better(?) flock dynamic, and hatching chicks.

I know that his temperament before coming here was perfectly fine. I'm hoping that the aggressiveness is temporary, and I can work on building trust. I don't know anything about breeding, but I assume that this temporary trait won't be passed down?

Anyways, I don't even have an incubator. A lot of things would have to fall in place to actually hatch out hens that I would keep. 1) Hen go broody 2) Stay broody 3) Successfully hatch eggs 4) Chicks survive 5) Some of the chicks are girls.

I am slightly regretting my rooster purchase... He seemed like a good roo and wasn't expensive. He's also gorgeous.

Thanks for your input!

Good questions. I'll admit, I didn't realize that the dynamic changed so much. Still learning. I think it will be a good experience though.

My reasons for a roo: Predator protector, better(?) flock dynamic, and hatching chicks.

I know that his temperament before coming here was perfectly fine. I'm hoping that the aggressiveness is temporary, and I can work on building trust. I don't know anything about breeding, but I assume that this temporary trait won't be passed down?

Anyways, I don't even have an incubator. A lot of things would have to fall in place to actually hatch out hens that I would keep. 1) Hen go broody 2) Stay broody 3) Successfully hatch eggs 4) Chicks survive 5) Some of the chicks are girls.

I am slightly regretting my rooster purchase... He seemed like a good roo and wasn't expensive. He's also gorgeous.

Thanks for your input!
In time I've found I could go back to much as it was before so don't dispair over the changes; they're usually only for a few months while he settles in.
Where I am currently I can handle all the hens and the senior roosters son without any problems having been very much hands off for the first few months while he learnt to trust me.
Roosters are easier to train than hens in my experience and frankly, make better friends. It's just getting everything on the right footing takes a little time.

I've been free ranging for a some time. I have yet to find a hen that does as good as job at taking care of her fellow hens while they forage, the same way a male would. Some have come relatively close, but not close enough.

Only if his behaviour is permanent/genetic, which from the looks of things your boy's isn't, would I not sell his chicks, male chicks especially. Like you, I'm open to handling aggressive males, as I've done in the past, but I won't put other people in the same situation, because I don't know if they feel the same as I do. Best to not put them in a situation like that. If he does stop attacking you, then I would sell, maybe to trusted people first

Back
Top Bottom