Pip and Peeper taken to wildlife rehab--Update 7/14/2011

Quote:
Thanks! The person who e-mailed me said they will be released when fully feathered, so it may be longer than a week, but they should be released back where I got them, so I will look out for them if possible. So, we shall see. Next week will certainly be better than this week, that's for sure. I think it'll be warmer next week, too.

He didn't say I didn't do the right thing, but said what I did was in good faith. At least I know they're not going to be in a cage for very long.

I got a notice that they have been treated and returned to the wild, but no exact date or location given. Plus, sometimes it takes them a few weeks to get the paperwork done and send an update. However, I do think I've seen them at Lake Murray, recently. Today, I think they were hanging out with a group of teenage ducks. They are large ducklings with some saxony markings. I will try to get a photo of the ones I think might be them.

Right now, we have a ton of teenage ducks at the lake that no longer follow their mom and hang out in teenage "gangs". They range in age from 7 weeks to 14 weeks.

I am a wildlife in virginia and i have wild mallards now i only release when fully feathered and flying I hope this rehaber will do the same babies learn from their moms i have grown mallards
on my pond so they can choose to stay or go there is always a group to follow

I think they may have released them with other ducks. If the ones I saw, today, are them, then they are blending in very well. There were about 250 ducks at my last count a few days ago, about 70 of those are most likely juveniles close to their age, so they have plenty of company.

Back
Top Bottom