Pipped Serama egg

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by leecey411, Dec 8, 2007.

1. leecey411

leecey411 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2007
    I pipped the little Serama egg, and now time will tell. It was scary but I was afraid I would loose her if I did nothing. I took an eyeglass screwdriver and scaped the shell until it was cracked and the broke away pieces with a dull tweezer. The egg is back in the incubator and I just pray it will be ok. I helped my two silkies and they are doing great!

2. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Dawn

3. Queen of the Lilliputians

Queen of the Lilliputians Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2007
    Maine
    Good luck with your babies! Hopefully your Serema will come out perky and active!

Meghan

4. ae50mag

ae50mag Chillin' With My Peeps

leecy.

several things can affect serama's hatch rates and mortality. i will be happy to send you eggs for the shipping as i hate to see you are one of the very few having hatch problems with my eggs.

just a note, if you are hatching reg chicken eggs with the serama's and basing the settings in the hot box for silkies and such, the serama's setting are a little different as these are from jungle fowl lines and need 99.5 - 100 degree's and over 60% humidity..

just a idea

frank

5. fdnick

fdnick Master Chicken Hoarder

Aug 22, 2007
    Spokane, Wa.
    CONGRATS... I have found if you keep the humidity up to 70 or more (for seramas) your hatch rate goes WAY up (we have been averaging 95% hatches) .. keep the bator door closed once pipping starts as much as possible and if you do need to open it put a wet wash cloth inside to re-adjust the humidity quickly :O)
    Denna

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by