Serama eggs day 18 - under a broody, no peeping..

Thank you!! :)
I hope she won't leave the nest today... Yesterday she left twice for about 30 mins each time... I hope she stays
You’re very welcome! It sounds like she’s doing terrific. Mine leave the nests for short periods to eat, drink, etc, but it’s never long enough to worry about. I’m an overprotective Serama mama, so I move my broodies and eggs to their own “safe room” about 5-6 days before hatch day, so they have total peace, quiet, and no stress to hatch and bond with their chicks. And, I can monitor closely. I have a bunch of chicks to add to my flock this year. I ❤️ it!!!!

You’re very welcome! It sounds like she’s doing terrific. Mine leave the nests for short periods to eat, drink, etc, but it’s never long enough to worry about. I’m an overprotective Serama mama, so I move my broodies and eggs to their own “safe room” about 5-6 days before hatch day, so they have total peace, quiet, and no stress to hatch and bond with their chicks. And, I can monitor closely. I have a bunch of chicks to add to my flock this year. I ❤️ it!!!!
Thats great :)

Update
It hatched!!!
Thank you all for your help :)

Now, 4 eggs are left, so the mother is still sitting - should I feed her in the nest while she is waiting for the others to hatch?? I know that its not a good idea because of the poop but... she has to eat and drink at least a small amount... no?

Update
It hatched!!!

Now, 4 eggs are left, so the mother is still sitting - should I feed her in the nest while she is waiting for the others to hatch?? I know that its not a good idea because of the poop but... she has to eat and drink at least a small amount... no?

You can feed her in the nest

Update
It hatched!!!

Congrats! :jumpy
I'd keep food close to the nest for now so she doesn't leave her other eggs.

I woke up this morning and saw all the other 4 eggs have external pips!! :wee:celebrate

A broody hen definitely knows her job!!!

I put food near the nest but the mother wasn't interested so much. She did drink though. Then I tried to give her some sweet corn which she really loves sinces she was a chick, and she ate a few 'kernels'. Looks like its enough for her...

As soon as they all hatch I'll post some pictures! :)

Back
Top Bottom