Plans or changes you wil make for 2014?

frenchblackcopper

Crowing
12 Years
Jul 14, 2009
East central Illinois
I don't know if many here are constantly thinking of possible changes they will implement for the next upcoming season but I am constantly looking for ways to improve my birds health and cutting waste out as far as cash imputs. My highest cost is feed. But buying bagged commercial feed thats not specific for peafowl proved to drastically hurt my hatchrates.
I look at housing and pens as a long term investment and as everyone knows here,I always wait until the very last minute before I build anything.I have many upgrades and improvements that I plan to do for 2014. Some have already began,others in the spring when the weather is better,and new breeding arrangements and pairings will be made.I keep very detailed records.For some that only has Peas for the "eye candy" factor record keeping is not needed.But it shows me exactly where I'm doing things correctly,and what still needs improved on.
I plan on making adjustments on many specific problems this spring,all learned from this past years experiences. I know my hatchrate problem will be 100% solved thru testing 2 groups against my entire flocks hatchability rate for 2 years of testing-record keeping,so my first area to address for 2014 is where to,and how to house many more peachicks while they are growing.
I plan on adding Peach,White,and Violetta as new solid colors,and breeding Bronze,Opal,Midnight with bssp hens to get white,pied,and b/s in these colors,even if it will be 2 years before I can start using them.This will require building 6 new breeding pens.
And with raising more peachicks,a few more pens and housing will be needed for when they get older. Outside of buying posts,and some top netting,I think I have all the needed fence and metal siding I'll need for these expansions.Pea Palace West side will need to become a reality now. The windbreak Austrees I planted around the property border a few years ago has grown so much,the west side pens cannot be as large overall as the East side,which was a 50x50,,West Side will be about a 50x40 total area under the net.So,who else knows what they will need to do for next year,or what will you do if you wanna share?

I know this is for peafowl but I hope you don't mind me chiming in on changes in chicken keeping.

Priorities are:
trap nesting along with the accompanying breeding records
finishing automatic doors
adding bulk feeder to the one last coop that doesn't have it
improving the automatic waterers with circulation and heat so I don't have to drain the systems in winter
adding more flocks to the fermented feed program
changing my homemade cabinet incubator and hatcher from incandescent heat to resistance wire (more reliable)
better temp controls on the incubator

Hmm, been thinking on this since I made a major move in June... First is hope to build outdoor enclosures (between 8 and12) to compliment the new barn I have acquired. I now am using a barn that is approx 45' wide by approx 80'. It's got slat floors and 12 rooms (8 of which are about 16x20, while the other four are about 16x30). The 8 rooms will become my main breeding pens, while the others will house young birds and those adults I'm not using for breeding during the current season.
Second is to continue with my massive colour combo breeding program. 2014 should yield the first true combos, up to 3, depending on how fertile my 2yr old males are. Thirdly is to hopefully hatch out my own line of bronze blackshoulders. Last years 2yr old trio resulted in 6 eggs and 0 fertility, so I'm hoping that next season produces better results. Finally, I hope to build a new hatcher. I've got all the parts minus the HDPE sheets I'm using for the box. It'll be twice the size of a GQF cabinet, with four rows of three hatching trays each (with lids!). Other than that, not much, but maybe a trip to see Clifton in Indiana.

I was actually thinking that! We've got a lot to discuss... I'll send you a pm in the next couple days :D

Last edited:
We are definitely making plans and changes. Because our farm is part time I have decided that we will limit ourselves to ten breeding pens. We have already eliminated all of our IB, and straight spalding. We are also selling any straight midnight and purple birds. These colors just aren't very distinguishable from each other to the general public. We are adding silver pied opal, cameo pied white eye and bronze blackshoulder for sure. We have already made the purchase of these adult birds in trios or quads. We might add another future pen or two depending on what might be available.

We have learned the last two years that it is not possible to have enough brooding or grow out space so we will be expanding our capacity for both.

We will continue to try and improve our bird management with regards to worming and feed but I feel like we are in fairly good shape. Our increase in egg production, fertility and chick health has been extraordinary over the last two years.

AugeredIN,can you see the "envy" bubbles here with you having Bronze b/s? I also have too many purples,and if I could find a straight purple b/s male I'd need to build another breeding pen.One thing about it,if you have the correct breeding birds,you can get anything or all color-patern possibilities from them,and yet still get "straight' colored birds as I have bred for the past two years.This year wine hatch-a-longs will have more interest here since I'm changing breeding birds around. I think another trip to Mt Hope will be required this April,,as much as I hate going there.

Your right. If you have the right males you can produce everything from straight color to silver pied. I am slowly catching on. Bronze are my favorite color. I want three pens. One with a straight bs male one with a silver pied bs male and one with a high quality spalding pied male. I guess there was much interest in the bronze bs adult trio I am getting. I was probably lucky. I would like to see mt hope but I want to take a trip to brads place first.

Brad brings a whole trailer full of birds to Mt Hope,,and if you buy from him before the sale he will bring them along as he did last year for me with my Taupes.I met him 2 hours south of where I live,saving me a 16 hour roundtrip to and from his place.

I learned lots this year, which was my first semi-serious attempt to hatch peafowl. Here is a list of my changes/additions:

• Keep better records!
  • But a wine cooler for egg storage.
  • Wingband ID's instead of legbands.
  • Build more private nesting boxes, which they probably won't use, lol.
  • Sell chicks earlier rather than later.
  • Follow up with FBC on his nutrition advice
    big_smile.png
  • Remove Guineas from breeding pen.

That's all I can think of now, but I'm sure there's something I'm missing!

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom