Plants in your aviary.

RingedTeal

Crowing
12 Years
Jun 9, 2011
Georgiana,Alabama
What all do y'all have planted/growing so far ? I planted a few Iris', I seeded ALOT of birdseed, and I also moved a lot of regular grass in there. I will try to get some pictures tomorrow before/after school and also new pics of my birds.

I like millet, milo, cowpeas, buckwheat, clovers, sunflowers and just as you said bird seed mixes in the warm months. In fall I plant collards, turnips and kale.

I just planted a few Cana lily's from the yard in there to
big_smile.png
my mom was a little less than pleased..
wink.png
. Also I would like Rye grass but I'm gonna plant it in the aviary I'm building now for them, so they'll have access to more sun.

Last edited:
Rye grass, clover, 2 varieties of clumping bamboo, fatsia Japonica, gold dust plant, cast irons, heavenly bamboo, oak tree, crab apple tree, lantana, cycad, crepe myrtle, Japanese maple. The birds eat the grass but they don't destroy it. I have places here and there where the grass doesn't grow but those make for nice places for them to dust bathe and for me to put their food dishes.

Here is my article on landscaping your aviary: http://www.bamboopeacock.com/Landscaping Your Aviary.html I am not sure how my plants would work with other types of birds, but with peafowl these plants have proven to be tough enough to withstand pecking, trampling, etc.

Tender plants like cannas are hard to use because they are easy to eat and they die back. I tried cannas and they didn't work for me. The birds pecked them too much. Same thing with bananas they will peck them to the ground.

Last edited:
Those Peacocks and that aviary :drool. I only planted them in there until the birdseed grows up tall enough for them to hide in. After that I plan on planting them in my chicken yard.

Back
Top Bottom