Plastic Bin Brooder, and preventing fire with heat lamp?

On the control switch you should see "auto off" and "stay-on" on a pad where you can over-ride the automatic shut-off. You can select either one to have the pad either shut off in two hours or to stay on until you decide to turn it off yourself.

There are pads that do not have the "auto-off" feature. You can still buy these. They are the ones that usually have just three settings or even just one setting. If it doesn't say "auto-off" on these pads, the pad should remain on.

But you should test it. Check a clock when you plug it in. Two hours later, if it hasn't shut off, you have confirmed you have a pad that will remain on.

Attachments

• FF455133-7091-4DEC-806E-9CF73C7C80E0.jpeg
    FF455133-7091-4DEC-806E-9CF73C7C80E0.jpeg
    368.4 KB · Views: 5
There should be a model number somewhere on the box. I can't see it. That is what is needed. From what I've been able to find, this pad will shut it'self off after 2 hours of use. There may be a customer service number on the box that you can call to verify. This pad is what many of us are using. You can see on the control dial, that you can choose "stay on" or "2 hour" settings.

https://www.amazon.com/Sunbeam-0020...&keywords=sunbeam+xpressheat+heating+pad&th=1

81MljBTsS8L._SX522_.jpg

I'm sure there are many other brooders that are better, but.... I have been using these long clear totes for raising chicks in since the later 1980's. With the safe type bulb lamp secured in every way you can & the metal mesh lid that was easy to make, the heat lamp has never melted anything at all including the tote. If anything seems too warm from the bulb, then move it safely away. Be sure to adjust your cooler side of the brooder as needed, such as a cover (away from lamp) or no cover; it's cold here so the warmth is more an issue in my garage at this time. Have fun! Best wishes.
2018 3-SS pullets in brooder.jpg

I'm sure there are many other brooders that are better, but.... I have been using these long clear totes for raising chicks in since the later 1980's. With the safe type bulb lamp secured in every way you can & the metal mesh lid that was easy to make, the heat lamp has never melted anything at all including the tote. If anything seems too warm from the bulb, then move it safely away. Be sure to adjust your cooler side of the brooder as needed, such as a cover (away from lamp) or no cover; it's cold here so the warmth is more an issue in my garage at this time. Have fun! Best wishes.View attachment 1270331
Thanks so much!

Hi everyone, the heating pad does not automatically shut off, but I need more ideas on what to use to hold it up since I don’t have wire, could I use a aquarium lid?

Back
Top Bottom