Playhouse Chicken Coop?

Not protected from the weather, yes.

But it is probably easier to put louvers and awnings over vents that are too open than to deal with an unventilated box. :)

@floral_chickadee Where, in general, are you located? Do you need to design your coop for hot summers, cold winters, severe storms, or ???
It’s quite* a mix. I’m from North Carolina and the weather here is just a little of everything.

Last edited:
We converted a playhouse but as the girls grew (and chicken math hit us) we realized it wasnt big enough. We did lift it but the add on is big enough for me to stand in. Every time I post on here i realize i dont have a finished picture but here it is with the add on, it now has hardware cloth on the openings and underneath and metal on the roof to create an overhang. We also panted it with sealant and outdoor paint.

Attachments

• 20200425_173016.jpg
    20200425_173016.jpg
    440.7 KB · Views: 34
  • 20200426_144931.jpg
    20200426_144931.jpg
    565 KB · Views: 32
  • 20200426_185011.jpg
    20200426_185011.jpg
    570.1 KB · Views: 34
It’s quick a mix. I’m from North Carolina and the weather here is just a little of everything.

Hello from the Sandhills.

Unless you're up in the mountains, heat will be a much bigger problem for you than cold so the more ventilation the better -- though you will want shelter on the side of the prevailing winter winds (tricky in NC, since we can get storms from any direction (or all directions in succession when we have hurricanes)).

Have you considered an Open Air coop -- which is a big, wire box with a three-sided shelter on the windward end?

My build is still in the stage of the first posts, but I was inspired by this coop in Texas. :)

Hello from the Sandhills.

Unless you're up in the mountains, heat will be a much bigger problem for you than cold so the more ventilation the better -- though you will want shelter on the side of the prevailing winter winds (tricky in NC, since we can get storms from any direction (or all directions in succession when we have hurricanes)).

Have you considered an Open Air coop -- which is a big, wire box with a three-sided shelter on the windward end?

My build is still in the stage of the first posts, but I was inspired by this coop in Texas. :)
Oh wow, I hadn’t really thought about a coop like that. I like the idea but I’m concerned it would let rain in, soaking everything. Is that the best kind of coop for my area? I’m not in the mountains, luckily, or it would be a much bigger problem, finding a coop insulating enough, but we do get our fair share of rain. So far, all I’ve got is a 10x20ft run that’s got a slanted roof covered in tarps to drain the rain and keep it all dry. I’m planning on starting with 4-6 hens but that’s without chicken math 😅

Oh wow, I hadn’t really thought about a coop like that. I like the idea but I’m concerned it would let rain in, soaking everything. Is that the best kind of coop for my area? I’m not in the mountains, luckily, or it would be a much bigger problem, finding a coop insulating enough, but we do get our fair share of rain. So far, all I’ve got is a 10x20ft run that’s got a slanted roof covered in tarps to drain the rain and keep it all dry. I’m planning on starting with 4-6 hens but that’s without chicken math 😅

That's where good roof overhangs and orienting the shelter toward the prevailing winds comes in.

The big thing for most of NC is keeping the chickens cool in the summer. They tolerate winter cold much better than they tolerate heat so shade and ventilation are the big things for those of us who frequently see 95+F with 95+% humidity.

I took an experienced chicken keeper's advice and gave my girls electrolytes once a week in hot weather (in addition to their regular water, not exclusively).

That's where good roof overhangs and orienting the shelter toward the prevailing winds comes in.

The big thing for most of NC is keeping the chickens cool in the summer. They tolerate winter cold much better than they tolerate heat so shade and ventilation are the big things for those of us who frequently see 95+F with 95+% humidity.

I took an experienced chicken keeper's advice and gave my girls electrolytes once a week in hot weather (in addition to their regular water, not exclusively).
Ahh I see, thanks for the advice. I’ll definitely take that into consideration when finalizing which coop I’ll buy/build.

As for electrolytes, is there a specific store bought kind I should give them? Or is there a way to supplement it another way? (I know for calcium you can grind up their shells and use that as a supplement)

Ahh I see, thanks for the advice. I’ll definitely take that into consideration when finalizing which coop I’ll buy/build.

As for electrolytes, is there a specific store bought kind I should give them? Or is there a way to supplement it another way? (I know for calcium you can grind up their shells and use that as a supplement)

I bought the little envelopes of "Save-a-Chick" at the farm store. I haven't looked into what else might be available.

So I’m new to this website, and I apologize if I’m not using the right thing to ask questions but I was wondering if this playhouse: https://www.walmart.com/ip/KidKraft...awHV8vh1h0ari389bXEaAsEYEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds would work as a chicken coop?

What could I do to make it more suitable as a chicken coop? Or is that even a good idea?
Hey! I used one similar to this for my young pullets, I just push some chicken wire over the windows and it worked up just fine. Be careful to not overcrowd though, and I would advise to let them free range every day b/c its a small space, but it will definitely work! Get creative!

*edit* I used it temporarily, you would definitely have to get more heavy duty for year round use!

Back
Top Bottom