Playhouse Chicken Coop?

Pics

floral_chickadee

Chirping
Mar 15, 2021
North Carolina
Last edited:
Unlike many playhouses it's well-ventilated.

It's also larger than most pre-fab coops at just shy of 20 square feet -- enough for 4-5 hens.

If it were me, I'd want to check out the structure and materials very thoroughly because kids' playhouses are usually designed to last only a few years -- since kids outgrow them. I'd also wonder how waterproof it is -- since kids don't use their playhouses in the rain.

Does it have a floor? If so, you could put it up on blocks to make it easier for you to maintain.

The usual guidelines are that each standard-sized hen needs:

4 square feet in the coop,
10 square feet in the run,
1 linear foot of roost,
And 1 square foot of permanent, 24/7/365 ventilation.

This playhouse, if the quality of construction is sufficient, would do a much better job of meeting the coop requirements than most prefab coops. :)

Yes, big open windows, that are not protected from the weather.

Not protected from the weather, yes.

But it is probably easier to put louvers and awnings over vents that are too open than to deal with an unventilated box. :)

@floral_chickadee Where, in general, are you located? Do you need to design your coop for hot summers, cold winters, severe storms, or ???

We converted a playhouse but as the girls grew (and chicken math hit us) we realized it wasnt big enough. We did lift it but the add on is big enough for me to stand in. Every time I post on here i realize i dont have a finished picture but here it is with the add on, it now has hardware cloth on the openings and underneath and metal on the roof to create an overhang. We also panted it with sealant and outdoor paint.

Attachments

• 20200425_173016.jpg
    20200425_173016.jpg
    440.7 KB · Views: 34
  • 20200426_144931.jpg
    20200426_144931.jpg
    565 KB · Views: 32
  • 20200426_185011.jpg
    20200426_185011.jpg
    570.1 KB · Views: 34
Descriptions says it is built out of cedar lumber. That is not good.

Edited to say that maybe with the structure being cedar it may not be a problem as it would if it was the bedding.

@aart ?
Cedar should be fine as a building material, because the larger planks are going to release a lot less aromatics than shavings due to less surface-to-air area.

My old coop (now brooder) is solid cedar, and I also have cedar trim on my coop, as well as aged Western cedar chips in my wood chip mix. No cedar aroma = no issues.

why buy that when you can buy a real chicken coup? I was just looking at those last night! ha ha. funny.
Example:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/TKOOFN-W...hicken-Coop-Small-Animal-Cage-House/318168762
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Country-Style-Chicken-Coop/231977009
Also they sell coups at Rural king. ....and maybe co ops.
Best wishes!

Because pre-fab coops like that are way too small, lack ventilation, and are usually poorly-made. (It is essentially impossible to meet the minimum coop space, roost length, and ventilation requirements in any coop that is smaller than a 4-foot cube).

Rule of thumb: If it looks like a dollhouse it's only suited for keeping toy chickens. :D

What could I do to make it more suitable as a chicken coop? Or is that even a good idea?
Ehhhh....it's kinda small and short.
How many birds are you wanting to keep?
It would need lots of work(how handy are you?) and not sure the wood is sturdy enough to do that.

Unlike many playhouses it's well-ventilated.
Yes, big open windows, that are not protected from the weather.

Welcome to BYC! @floral_chickadee
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1615926362299.png

Back
Top Bottom