Playhouse Chicken Coop?

Ehhhh....it's kinda small and short.
How many birds are you wanting to keep?
It would need lots of work(how handy are you?) and not sure the wood is sturdy enough to do that.

Yes, big open windows, that are not protected from the weather.

Welcome to BYC! @floral_chickadee
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
View attachment 2572739
Oh! Didn’t know I could do that! I’ll be sure to get on that! But for the time being, I’m from North Carolina. The highs for summer are usually in the 90s and the lows for winter being somewhere in the 20s. We don’t get a lot of snow, even when it does snow.

why buy that when you can buy a real chicken coup? I was just looking at those last night! ha ha. funny.
Example:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/TKOOFN-W...hicken-Coop-Small-Animal-Cage-House/318168762
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Country-Style-Chicken-Coop/231977009
Also they sell coups at Rural king. ....and maybe co ops.
Best wishes!
The only issue with chicken coops you buy is that they won’t be sufficient enough for 6-10 hens :/

I’m currently looking into building a coop instead. The playhouse just seems like it will require too much “editing” for how much it’s worth.

Oh ok, I get it. I keep hearing about how people say how they only wanted a couple but keep getting more. Oh well, I won't be able to since I won't have anymore room. I'm just hoping that there is no such thing as odd ball out since I'm only having 3. They will be fine , right?

3 is fine. :)

For all those that fall for chicken math, there's those of us that opt to limit ourselves to whatever we feel meets our needs and ability to manage. Legally I can have thousands of birds, but I opted to build for 12, so that's my self imposed limit.

So I’m new to this website, and I apologize if I’m not using the right thing to ask questions but I was wondering if this playhouse: https://www.walmart.com/ip/KidKraft...awHV8vh1h0ari389bXEaAsEYEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds would work as a chicken coop?

What could I do to make it more suitable as a chicken coop? Or is that even a good idea?
I’m not sure about the coop, but :welcome !!!:frow:D:yesss::celebrate
We are so glad you’ve joined us!
Have any questions? Need any help?
Just ask!
Everyone here is very friendly and kind!

That first Playhouse you listed I used as a 'play house in the run' but not a coop.
I got mine free and put a stick through the windows and the hens would go roost and preen in it during the day.
But it was NOT used as a real coop.
You are better off buying a wooden SHED and fixing the inside for the hens :)

We actually did something like this years ago as our brooder/young chick coop..the only thing to know is that they leak like nuts. We enclosed the windows with plexiglass we had, but never really could get it water tight. Super cute though
I think I got super lucky with my playhouse then. I got it for free and just added a floor, a door, and hardware cloth to the openings. Never have had a leak. We've also extended on it since this picture and it still stays nice and dry.

Attachments

• IMG_20200318_141925_357.jpg
    IMG_20200318_141925_357.jpg
    974.5 KB · Views: 23
So I’m new to this website, and I apologize if I’m not using the right thing to ask questions but I was wondering if this playhouse: https://www.walmart.com/ip/KidKraft...awHV8vh1h0ari389bXEaAsEYEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds would work as a chicken coop?

What could I do to make it more suitable as a chicken coop? Or is that even a good idea?
Hi, I'm awaiting for my pullets to arrive and decided to go with a similar playhouse......BIG MISTAKE........ I got it thinking that since I wouldn't need to know how to build one. I found that it would have been so much easier to build myself and less expensive. All the openings need to closed up/windows etc. The wood is pretty thin. I have to reinforce the inside. So far I've put up thin foam insulation doubled up, but I need to figure out what to cover the walls with. Thinking about using sheet vinyl flooring for walls over the Styrofoam. Not good with power tools so thought this would be easier. The roof will definitely need to be reinforced within a year. I will seal any open spaces but won't be enough for roof. I could go on. I do not recommend it at all. It's cute but not practical. I will make sure though that it is 100% predator proof and warm for winters and cool for the summers. I will also use a digital thermometer inside coop that I can read from inside my home. The picture of chicken is one of the chickens I chicken sat for my neighbors and I fell in love and decided to have my own. I made it through a blizzard and a crazy wild hurricane like 2 day storm and learned a lot from that. I will post when I finish with my coop and I'd like to see yours.

Back
Top Bottom