Playhouse Chicken Coop?

Pics
I wasn't sure but thought this would be recent enough to post to still...
I just needed some experienced opinions and help regarding this playhouse I have the opportunity to get.
It is 6' 3" square and made of cedar wood. I know I will need to do hardware cloth at the windows, where the board is missing at the top on left at back I could remove the others all the way across and put in hardware cloth for additional ventilation.
Easy enough to add a door and build a ramp on backside.
It is 4-5 years old, does not leak, has asphalt roll roofing, and decking for flooring.
I would have to pay $600 plus a mover to relocate it. I'm guessing that will be around $300 based on what I'm seeing online in my area.

View attachment 2740587View attachment 2740588View attachment 2740589View attachment 2740584View attachment 2740585View attachment 2740586View attachment 2740587
Well, I will tell you that you probably cannot build it yourself for that price right now, or at least in my area, though prices are inching down now.

I just needed some experienced opinions and help regarding this playhouse I have the opportunity to get.
It is 6' 3" square and made of cedar wood. I know I will need to do hardware cloth at the windows, where the board is missing at the top on left at back I could remove the others all the way across and put in hardware cloth for additional ventilation.
It is 4-5 years old, does not leak, has asphalt roll roofing, and decking for flooring.
I would have to pay $600 plus a mover to relocate it. I'm guessing that will be around $300 based on what I'm seeing online in my area.
That looks pretty nice, and I can see how you can get ventilation in easily by removing some of the top boards right under the roofline. Wonder what is the discoloration on the ceiling, or if that's just the natural weathering of the wood?

View attachment 2740587View attachment 2740588View attachment 2740589View attachment 2740584View attachment 2740585View attachment 2740586View attachment 2740587
The wood construction in this small shed/playhouse looks solid and better to start with than the prefab coops you can buy online.
With some adjustments you can make it work for sure.

If everything is sound then yes, that's a great candidate for conversion.

If that odd coloration on the roof is water-damage negotiate the price for needing a new roof. :)

Then start your own build thread for it. :)

I think it is well worth $900 including moving it. That's a nice size. I say GET IT if you didn't yet and is still available. I recommend read, read and more reading. So much to learn and some really good ideas on conversion ideas. You could add some panel insulation on walls, floor and ceiling too since I think you're in Michigan? I'm new to this site and not sure how to read question vs replies , lol. But I say YES !!!!!!!

Coop 5.JPG

I'm still working on it. I like it, but if I was offered $20K to build this again, I WOULD NOT do it. It was so hard, had difficulty with power tools, I'd measure and measure again and still made wrong cuts. I got the kids playhouse for $200 and thought I would be able to convert it easily, (NOT) well not for me with ZERO experience and no help. It's definitely not "code" lol but it's insulated and predator proof. I have windows on 3 sides, I think that was too much, but it's done now. working still on many little things including the frame of garden wall and front "patio". I told my husband that it wouldn't cost more than $500 total........... Way way wrong!!!!!!! I think I'm over $1,500. So you paying $900 for the size and quality of what you showed is definitely worth it. The one good thing is that I'm at my max with 4 chickens. Only bought 3 but I was given an extra one

Attachments

• Coop 1.JPG
    Coop 1.JPG
    81.9 KB · Views: 5
  • Coop 2.jpg
    Coop 2.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 5
  • coop 4.jpg
    coop 4.jpg
    164.4 KB · Views: 6

Back
Top Bottom