Playhouse delivered today (pic heavy)

CityChook

Songster
11 Years
Apr 9, 2008
Minneapolis, MN
My Coop
My Coop
Well, the playhouse coop that we've been working on was finally delivered today. No BYC page yet. Will try to get it assembled and then enter into this season's coop contest.

Anyways, this sweet little coop was made by my loving DH for a friend of mine from my kids' school. She adopted three chicks from the Kindergarten egg hatching experiment last spring and they have been living in a rabbit hutch all summer. That won't work when the snow starts flying, so my DH (along with his trusty, hammer wielding friend, Eric) offered up his newly acquired carpentry skills. Even the early Oct. snowfall didn't deter him from completion. Coupled with skillful driving and some extremely strong backed friends (OMG that thing was unbelievably heavy), they delivered it this morning. I couldn't believe the hill that they needed to ascend to get the coop to it's resting spot - quite ominous. The photo does not do it justice...

I just love how this little coop turned out. It's 4x4 with a 4x8 run, fully insulated, has a hardwired electrical outlet and a heat lamp fixture, exterior beadboad siding, ridgecap as well as gable ventilation, a large window and is fully painted inside and out with exterior enamel paint. I think it turned out really cute and it looks great nestled up in the trees in her backyard.

IMG_3846.jpg

IMG_3909.jpg
IMG_3912.jpg

IMG_3914.jpg
IMG_3917.jpg

IMG_3924.jpg
IMG_3923.jpg

IMG_3903.jpg
IMG_3901.jpg

Really nice coop. How many chooks? I like that it can easily be added on to, regards the run. I would consider that in springtime, so that they can get more sunshine. With that design, you could have two other runs they could go to. Let one have a rest and divert them to the other one for awhile. What kind of mesh/screen is it? If too coarse, I would add hardware cloth to bottom 24" or 30" of it to keep coons from reaching in to rip body parts off. If chicken wire, do same as chicken wire can be ripped apart by dogs, coyotes or coons.

Back
Top Bottom