Please Advise!! Need Help Before I Loose My Whole Flock!!

tigerkitten45

Songster
9 Years
Feb 22, 2010
NH
OK, here is the situation...have discovered mites on my birds, unfortunately i have some that have already been compromised and have lost 2 in 2 days, the first i believe just got too weak, the 2nd developed pneumonia and i had to put her down. I have dusted each one and seperated the flock so the ones who appear the most compromised are seperate.....i have one that is making an odd noise, am worried she may be getting pneumonia too, should i seperate her from the rest and what do i treat her with?? It has been too cold and rainy here to tear apart my coop for a through cleaning, but hope to do so tommorrow, am going to use sevin dust after cleaning and use new shavings with DE, also going to paint all the nest boxes and roosts, and other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I have put the birds i feel are having problems, back on medicated chick starter, as their appetite seems poor and they like that better then the layer feed, have put vitamins and vinegar in their water and they are in a clean cage with new shavings, they were also dusted.

Ok, so let me list your problems to see if I've missed anything:

1. mites- and you are dusting those.
2. poor appetite
3. making odd noise- possible pneumonia?

The respiratory component- you might find the following website helpful:
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

The poor appetite- "scrambled eggs and yogurt" the old wise ones around here keep repeating, so I'm going to start saying it too!

The mites- remember, and this is on another thread too, that you have to retreat those I think? in 7-10 days until gone. Don't quote me on that- do a search in the search bar for mites....

That's all I have for you for now! I hope someone else will just nail it for you!

I got sevin consentrated spray so I could get everywhere including the ceiling. I have used DE forever and did absolutely nothing for the out break I had, so will just use the DE in their food to keep it fresher and their bedding to keep it drier. But will use sevin spray and dust for the birds and their house. I also used the powder all over where they lay outside also. hope you get rid of them I am doing it again Mon. will be day 10.

Bathe all your birds that have mites... having them under the water for a few minutes will kill any living mites... then use seven to kill the eggs i hope everything works out

plus... definately seperate any birds that start showing signs of pneumonia.... goodluck
hmm.png

Last edited:
Quote:
Also you might want to do a search to see for yourself, but I read somewhere (I don't know for sure if it is true) that feeding DE (in small quantities obviously) helps prevent worms. Make sure it's food-grade. The bag has to say food grade, or for animals to eat.

Quote:
Also you might want to do a search to see for yourself, but I read somewhere (I don't know for sure if it is true) that feeding DE (in small quantities obviously) helps prevent worms. Make sure it's food-grade. The bag has to say food grade, or for animals to eat.

I do that every so often and never ever have seen any worms or had any signs of them. I give it to everyone, not just chickens. I put it on the dogs and cats too for fleas. It does work. I dont' like giving my animals chemicals like wazine. DE is organic. Actually they are fossils of Diatoms. (I might be spelling that wrong)

Back
Top Bottom