Please advise! (vent gleet?)

3eyondblessed

Chirping
Sep 19, 2023
Hi all, this is my first post here so hopefully i’m doing it right!
I was wondering if someone could please advise me on what to do for a hen with what looks to have vent gleet. She is eating and drinking, she has been sleeping alot, and hasn’t had much energy.
BCD45364-2310-492B-9839-722BCF794313.jpeg

Last edited:
The hen is how old?

How long has this been going on?

Was she laying prior to this? When was her last egg? Was it just prior to her becoming drippy from the butt and lethargic?

Has she been exposed to any rotting compost or vegetation?

The hen is how old?

How long has this been going on?

Was she laying prior to this? When was her last egg? Was it just prior to her becoming drippy from the butt and lethargic?

Has she been exposed to any rotting compost or vegetation?
She just turned a year, its been going on for about 5 days. Yes she was laying, not sure when she laid her last egg though... No, She hasn’t been exposed to any rotting compost. Thank you!

At this age it's not a very high probability that this is a reproductive disorder. And if you are very sure she's not been exposed to any mold or algae puddles, the likelihood of this being gleet are also low.

What is you location and climate lately?

This could be heat related or it could be bacterial infection, so help me narrow it down by answering those questions. Then I can better tell you how to treat her.

If it got hot all of a sudden from a cool spell, it can make a chicken sick like this. I had a hen in my flock last September almost die from heat stroke from a hot day following a week of cool fall weather. She walked up to me, steps faltering, she stumbled and collapsed at my feet. I swooped her up and took her indoors and treated her in the following manner"

Cool compresses under her wings and on her belly. I put a tube into her throat and crop and fed her tepid Gatorade. She was back to normal within a few hours. She was the only chicken in the flock this happened to.

I would try that to rule out heat sickness, and if she gets better, great. If not, then I would treat her with an antibiotic as long as you're positive she hasn't been exposed to any moldy food or water.

If it got hot all of a sudden from a cool spell, it can make a chicken sick like this. I had a hen in my flock last September almost die from heat stroke from a hot day following a week of cool fall weather. She walked up to me, steps faltering, she stumbled and collapsed at my feet. I swooped her up and took her indoors and treated her in the following manner"

Cool compresses under her wings and on her belly. I put a tube into her throat and crop and fed her tepid Gatorade. She was back to normal within a few hours. She was the only chicken in the flock this happened to.

I would try that to rule out heat sickness, and if she gets better, great. If not, then I would treat her with an antibiotic as long as you're positive she hasn't been exposed to any moldy food or water.
Thank you very much! I have been wiping her since I first noticed it, and this was her today!

Attachments

• IMG_2023.jpeg
    IMG_2023.jpeg
    495.3 KB · Views: 3

Back
Top Bottom