PLEASE ANYONE??Older chick with swollen eye

Clarks2YWAM

Hatching
11 Years
Dec 22, 2008
My daughter noticed about three days ago that one of our Polish chicks had a crusty, sandy eye. I cleaned it by carefully pulling off the crust and sand and put antibiotic cream on it and let it go.

It improved slighty, but it is still red, a bit swollen and kind of crusty. It has a white film over it unless I flush it out. It does not stink at all so most likely it is not Croyza, right?

It has a lot of energy, eating and drinking fine. I might have noticed one sneeze, but I am not sure. (It was windy outside when I was watching it.)

I have removed it from the rest of the flock, but so far this whole day, no coughing or sneezing. It is very unhappy being away from it's friends, so I need to know if I should remain concerned. The rest of the chickens are bright eyes with no puss or weepy signs at all.

What to do?

Edit to Add: There is a small possibility that it might have gotten pecked. There is a small scab above it's eye...but that could be from me removing the crust from the eye. Am I grasping at straws here?

Last edited:
No, no grasping going on
smile.png

If it looks ok then all you can do is put it back with the flock and carry on. As a precaution you could add garlic to their feed, honey and molasses in a separate dish of water (honey is so good as a health tonic), and give a vitamin supplement in their ordinary water so as to boost their immune system. That way anything that is going around may get the boot because they are in such good (fighting-fit) condition.

Or... isolate for a few more days, continue to treat and clean the eye and see what happens.

The chick may have just got something in their eye, what is your gut saying to you?

My gut was saying yesterday that the chicken was well. He is still in isolation, and acting fine... no coughing or sneezing that I can see. His eye looks just terrible. I flushed it out and put some antibiotic cream on it again today.

Then I checked the rest of the chickens. One of my light brahmas has just a teeny bit of pus coming out of it's eye. ( I had to take it into the light and check it very carefully to even see it.) I put it in quarintine with the other one just to be safe. Could it just be conjuctivitis and not croyza? I did notice one other chicken sneezed just once but it's eyes look fine.

So my question after reading everything that I can on the subject---if I treat it, then they will get it again. And I don't want to be an irresponsible chicken owner. But if I understand it correctly there is just no way to avoid this. I order my chickens from a large breeder and that means that I am probably going to get this again, so why cull the flock if it is inevitable to get again anyway???

Someone please answer this. I have a 10 year old that loves these chickens more than anything else.

It could be conjunctivitis, but the sneezing is a little concerning. Also if it's conjunctivitis, they would likely be worrying with it, scratching, rubbing. If it's CRD, IB or Coryza you'll likely notice more symptoms. Keep an eye on them and see what happens. All of the respiratory diseases I just listed make the bird a carrier. That doesn't necessarily mean you have to cull. Relapses occur due to dietary or environmental stress, so you may never see it again. If you plan on selling, or giving away any birds, you should probably cull or permanently separate any who've been infected, or have been in direct contact with those who were infected. If you're just keeping some pets for eggs, I wouldn't sweat it.

Back
Top Bottom