Please confirm-- It's a boy?-- EE

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by mybirdslovetofly, May 27, 2011.

1. mybirdslovetofly

mybirdslovetofly Out Of The Brooder

May 27, 2011
    Hello,

I'm a new chicken owner. We purchased 3 EE "pullets" about 5 weeks ago. Every since the first day, we've been vaguely suspicious that one is a cockerel. We've been in denial, though, b/c s/he's so pretty, and we kind of love him, if such a thing is possible with chickens!

Well, I think it's time we face reality, but I'd like some eggsperts to confirm that we need to return him (the chicken lady guarantees her pullets, and will exchange them). Thanks in advance for looking and sharing! (They are now about 11 wks old.)

Take a look at this pretty bird:
    [​IMG]

here is he is next to the other two, for comparison (he's on the right):
    [​IMG]

Oh, and off topic, but here is our very pretty yellow hen, posing for me. She seems very different from the other EEs. Much fatter and less beardy:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 27, 2011
  2. draye

draye Overrun With Chickens

Nov 30, 2010
    Arkansas
    That is a boy.

3. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

Yup, that handsome young bird is a cockerel (boy).

4. mybirdslovetofly

mybirdslovetofly Out Of The Brooder

May 27, 2011
    Oh! Yeah...looking at the photos on the computer now, it seems to obvious. That comb is so much redder, isn't it? And that green tail feather? I'm about to cry. But our neighbors are about 12 feet away, and he'd be due to start crowing any day now, so I guess we'll be off to the chicken farm this weekend.

Thank you!

5. pinkwindsong

pinkwindsong Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2011
    Laurens SC
    HE is beautiful but yeah he needs to go back to the chicken lady and trade for a pullet. with no red in her comb at that age. he is very pretty and I bet will grow up to be beautiful rooster.
    )O(
    Pink

6. AccentOnHakes

AccentOnHakes Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2009
    Quote:Actually, if you look closely, the two pullets are also getting a little red. It's more the comb size.

7. laceymhepp

laceymhepp New Egg

May 27, 2011
    [​IMG] I have the exact same chicken. He was also suppose to be a pullet??!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by