Please help….egg bound or stroke?

RERICKSON4122

Chirping
Mar 24, 2023
Hey guys!! My chicken is around 6 years old. Yesterday we found her in the nesting box with a bunch of clear fluid underneath and my husband was able to get the rest out (yellowish/clear) she is now falling asleep standing up and doesn’t want to move much. I interact with them every day, she generally follows me around the coop anywhere I go so this has only been going on about a day possibly 2…..and also, she is completely blind. I soaked her in epsom salt for around 18 minutes then gave her calcium water with a syringe….she looks like she’s in pain but still very alert with any sound or movement….I mix pepper seeds, crushed oyster shells and cooked eggs in their feed daily….she moves her head in a robot like way, just slower now but she’s been doing that which is how we figured out she was blind…..any thoughts or suggestions on what I can do better?

Attachments

• IMG_4009.jpeg
    IMG_4009.jpeg
    459.8 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_4010.jpeg
    IMG_4010.jpeg
    492.5 KB · Views: 6
Poor girl.

It sounds like you are doing all the right things. How much Calcium did you give her today? I'd aim for 500-600mg once daily for a few days.

You mention your husband was able to get a yellowish/clear (egg yolk and white?) out of her - was there a membrane too?
If the membrane or soft shell ruptured inside the vent, this can make them feel very bad. She may develop infection from that too. If you have an antibiotic like Amoxicillin on hand, then I'd start her right away. Dose is 57mg per pound of weight given orally twice a day for 10 days.

Poor girl.

It sounds like you are doing all the right things. How much Calcium did you give her today? I'd aim for 500-600mg once daily for a few days.

You mention your husband was able to get a yellowish/clear (egg yolk and white?) out of her - was there a membrane too?
If the membrane or soft shell ruptured inside the vent, this can make them feel very bad. She may develop infection from that too. If you have an antibiotic like Amoxicillin on hand, then I'd start her right away. Dose is 57mg per pound of weight given orally twice a day for 10 days.
Today we were able to get more yellowish/white stuff out and she stopped contracting/ pushing for the time being. We also gave her some electrolyte water with calcium powder (1 tsp) and VetRx drops. We swaddled her (loosely) and put her in our dark bathroom in a bin. When we checked around midnight she was laying down and sleeping. I just don’t want this to end fatally and I wasn’t sure if there could be more than one egg stuck. Also, it was a soft shelled egg…..I will administer amoxicillin this morning.

Back
Top Bottom