PLEASE help!! 9 weeks old chick not walking

So sorry sararoni, you have done so much for this little one, I know the thought of letting go is hard. I have a two year old RIR hen that is internally laying, with not much to be done for her but keep her comfortable. Although we have lost a few young chicks, we haven't had to put one down before, and I'm honestly not sure I can do it if it gets to that point. I wish I had something else that would help, but it does sound like you have done pretty much all that you can. Good luck.

This is another chicken I am having a problem since yesterday. I thought of opening a new thread but maybe is better on this since I have so many experienced members in here.
She is a 2 year's old Easter egger.
I saw her straining yesterday but only a whitish liquid drips out.
I kept her yesterday in a crate in case there is a broken egg she is trying to push out.
The white liquid doesn't seem like egg white and it doesn't smell although I have the flu and my smelling sense is off.
I checked her in the morning with a towel over her head and didn't notice
Anything sticking out so I let her in the coop.
She is straining again and this is how she looks now.
What do you think is wrong with her?

If she were mine I would get give her some crushed calcium and 60ml of fluids with a tube and stick her in a bathroom full of steam. I suspect that she is egg bound with a soft shell egg or a regular egg. Either way, the water, calcium and steam will help her pass it. Some people give them a warm bath, but I have found that to be too stressful to the bird, so I always use the steam method. Amount of calcium to give her is no less than 100mg per 2.2 pounds.

-Kathy

If she were mine I would get give her some crushed calcium and 60ml of fluids with a tube and stick her in a bathroom full of steam. I suspect that she is egg bound with a soft shell egg or a regular egg. Either way, the water, calcium and steam will help her pass it. Some people give them a warm bath, but I have found that to be too stressful to the bird, so I always use the steam method. Amount of calcium to give her is no less than 100mg per 2.2 pounds.

-Kathy

Thanks Kathy,
I am at the pharmacy now to get some Vaseline,gloves,hydrogen peroxide in case I was advised to explore inside of her.
She had oyster shells mixed with yoghurt, scrambled egg and multivitamin yesterday. Should I give her a tums tablet as well when I go home?
I will try the steam too

Fluids, steam and oral calcium, that's what will help if she is egg bound. Not enough calcium in yogurt and oyster shell.

-Kathy

This is another chicken I am having a problem since yesterday. I thought of opening a new thread but maybe is better on this since I have so many experienced members in here.
She is a 2 year's old Easter egger.
I saw her straining yesterday but only a whitish liquid drips out.
I kept her yesterday in a crate in case there is a broken egg she is trying to push out.
The white liquid doesn't seem like egg white and it doesn't smell although I have the flu and my smelling sense is off.
I checked her in the morning with a towel over her head and didn't notice
Anything sticking out so I let her in the coop.
She is straining again and this is how she looks now.
What do you think is wrong with her?

Oh you poor thing, ' it never rains , it pours ' and you no doubt feel like crap with the flu.
Mine love a warm Epsom salt bath and a blow dry. I get a stool and get comfy cause on average the soak can take 20 mins. Vent gleet is also a possibility. The white stuff would be more like zinc cream once it starts to set in the feathers, and it takes a couple of days for the smell to set in.

Oh you poor thing, ' it never rains , it pours ' and you no doubt feel like crap with the flu.
Mine love a warm Epsom salt bath and a blow dry. I get a stool and get comfy cause on average the soak can take 20 mins. Vent gleet is also a possibility. The white stuff would be more like zinc cream once it starts to set in the feathers, and it takes a couple of days for the smell to set in.

I tried to make the bathroom steamy but she seemed much worse when I got home. Head down, eyes closed and when she strained I just could see red flesh trying to pop out.
So before I went to sleep I put her on a warm sink. She seemed to enjoy it.
After 15 min I put her on her back and after socking my gloved fingers in Vaseline checked inside of her.
I had to gently push some kind of flesh or intestine before feeling an egg. It doesn't seem broken. She started to panic so I just put some more Vaseline in her and put her in the crate and blow dried her.
She stays huddled with her eyes closed and is not eating anything.
I left her to rest for the night and if hopefully she is better in the morning I will give her more calcium with a syringe.
Thanks Kathy and Fancychooklady for your quick advices

They really need lots of water when egg bound. To quote my vet "dehydration is one of the major causes of egg binding". Can she poop? If not, you need to get her to a vet or get the eggs out.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom