Please HELP - AGGRESSIVE HEN

madisonboe

Songster
8 Years
May 11, 2014
Rio Linda, California
So my Buff Orpington hen who is 4 months old is acting very aggressive towards me! Every time I go in the coop she follows me around and pecks me super hard. Last two times these pecks caused me to bleed. I've tried pushing her away and she just runs right back at me. I matter how many times I do it. I've tried holding her down to show her dominance and that doesn't seem to help either. It's so weird because she used to be my friendliest hen, I have pictures of her sitting in my lap! I don't want to do.
For back info I have to older hens who are 6 months old who seem to be in charge, I have two other hens the same age and a rooster the same age. All different breeds.
Any advice on what to do here would be much appreciated!

I had the same experience with mine. I "pecked" her back a couple of times with my index and middle fingers. I tapped firmly (not too hard) on her head a couple of times when she started trying to peck me and she'd leave me alone after that. Otherwise I'd pick her up and carry her around with me while I did whatever I needed to do.

We ended up with a rooster on accident (we had to get rid of him when he started crowning) and she's been really calm and docile since then.

Agrees with the finger pecking and holding down to ground until they submit.
Might take several applications.

Are you positive it's not a male?

FYI.....semantics, maybe, but can be important communication terms when discussing chicken behavior.
Female chickens are called pullets until one year of age, then they are called hens.
Male chickens are called cockerels until one year of age, then they are called cocks(or cockbirds or roosters).

Back
Top Bottom