Please help! Any advice would be so appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ravensravelry

Songster
Apr 20, 2023
Northeast Texas
My silkies are in a moveable coop in the backyard. My uncle had to help move a tree that had fallen in the last storm, and carelessly moved the coop over about two feet without saying ANYTHING to anybody. With that said, he moved the coop ONTO the leg of one of my girls, and tried to act like it wasn't his fault at all. Her leg was stuck UNDER the coop and now she is unable to move it. What do I do?? My local vet doesn't look at birds, do I attempt to splint it? How would I do that properly without hurting her? I'm very lost on what to do and would appreciate any direction. I feel horrible for her, she cannot stand and she's just laying down.

It's unlikely that it's anything super serious. Her leg is probably just hurting her and she just needs some time to get back on her feet.(Literally) You could try taking her out of the tractor and giving her a day or two to rest in quiet. Maybe try giving her some electrolyte water also.

It's unlikely that it's anything super serious. Her leg is probably just hurting her and she just needs some time to get back on her feet.(Literally) You could try taking her out of the tractor and giving her a day or two to rest in quiet. Maybe try giving her some electrolyte water also.
Thank you for responding, I've never had something like this happen and it's scary because I don't know what to do and I don't want her in pain. Is there anything that I could give her to help? As soon as I saw it we separated her so she's in a little pen by herself so we can monitor her and she won't potentially be stepped on by the others, but I haven't given her electrolytes yet. Again, thank you so much!

Thank you for responding, I've never had something like this happen and it's scary because I don't know what to do and I don't want her in pain. Is there anything that I could give her to help? As soon as I saw it we separated her so she's in a little pen by herself so we can monitor her and she won't potentially be stepped on by the others, but I haven't given her electrolytes yet. Again, thank you so much!
I think just a couple of days of rest and staying off the leg will help her! Just try giving her some electrolyte water for starters. That will help keep her energy up and help her to heal. Hope she feels better soon!

I agree that pictures could help. Maybe wet just the feathers on the leg so we can see it more clearly. Does she walk with the leg down or hold it up to her body? It could be broken or sprained. Look over the whole leg to check for any swelling, or bruising, which is usually green on other chickens, but may be hard to see on grey silkie legs. Look for a cut or wound as well. Feel of her toes and tell us if she will grip your finger or move them. Chicken sling chairs can be helpful to get them upright, keep them cleaned, rest the leg, and to be in front of food and water. Here is a link for slings and chairs, and the design is in post 11:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/versions-of-chick-chairs-please.1166308/

I think just a couple of days of rest and staying off the leg will help her! Just try giving her some electrolyte water for starters. That will help keep her energy up and help her to heal. Hope she feels better soon!
Thank you so much!! I appreciate you taking the time to give me advice.

I agree that pictures could help. Maybe wet just the feathers on the leg so we can see it more clearly. Does she walk with the leg down or hold it up to her body? It could be broken or sprained. Look over the whole leg to check for any swelling, or bruising, which is usually green on other chickens, but may be hard to see on grey silkie legs. Look for a cut or wound as well. Feel of her toes and tell us if she will grip your finger or move them. Chicken sling chairs can be helpful to get them upright, keep them cleaned, rest the leg, and to be in front of food and water. Here is a link for slings and chairs, and the design is in post 11:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/versions-of-chick-chairs-please.1166308/
She has not walked or put any weight on it at all. I felt her over and nothing felt swollen or broken to me, but I have no experience here, so I thought maybe dislocated? I'm really not sure. There was no swelling or obvious external damage, no cuts or bruising that I could see but her skin is dark so it could be overlooked. She did not move her toes at all, or curl them, nor has she moved the leg at all. Thank you for sharing this information and also for responding to me, in my opinion it looks like the chicken sling will be the best option for her for the time being but I will have to get it set up first. When laying down she is putting the leg behind her. I'll include pictures

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom