PLEASE HELP ASAP

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Mady_, Apr 24, 2019.

1. Mady_

Mady_ In the Brooder

Apr 20, 2019
    Hi! So my duck egg has started to smell at day 28, I can't tell if its the incubator water or the duck egg itself. I tried candling and haven't saw movement, did the water test and still haven't seen movement, he hasn't even internally pipped. My question is can make a hole in the top of the egg away from the duck to see if he's even still alive in there? If he is still alive will this harm him in any way?

2. crazy4ChickensNducks

crazy4ChickensNducks Songster

Dec 16, 2018
    west, michigan
    I haven’t incubated yet but I have heard of people poking air holes with a needle, you could do the same and smell where the whole is. @Texas Kiki

3. Mady_

Mady_ In the Brooder

Apr 20, 2019
    I heard that too, however normally people do that when they've already internally pipped. My little guy hasn't yet:<

4. crazy4ChickensNducks

crazy4ChickensNducks Songster

Dec 16, 2018
    west, michigan
    You could do it and if it is still viable cover the pin hole with liquid bandage or wax

5. Knighstar679

Knighstar679 Songster

Jun 12, 2018
    Seneca Falls, NY
    Take the egg out and remove it from the bator. Then smell the egg. You can also lightly tap or whistle at the egg while candling and see if that triggers movement. I would do that before poking a hole in the egg. What have your temps and humidity been through incubation?

6. Mady_

Mady_ In the Brooder

Apr 20, 2019
    I removed it and it doesn't smell horrible but it doesn't smell great, to me it smells like swamp water. I've tried whistling, tapping, playing duck noises and nothing. The incubator I got doesn't allow me to see humidity but there's always condensation built up. The temp has been at 99 degrees fahrenheit or 37 degrees celsius. I'm honestly losing hope at this point and want to cry.

7. ChickNanny13

ChickNanny13 Crossing the Road

Jun 23, 2013
    The Big Island/Hawaii
    If the egg smells & sweaty, remove & bag, it's rotten. You really don't want it exploding, and it will) in the incubator. A mess to clean and disinfect.
    Do you have other eggs in the incubator?
    Have you candled prior?
    Chickens - Incubation Chart.jpg

8. Texas Kiki

Texas Kiki Egg Pusher

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
    If it stinks then it probably is not good.

I would be very careful that it doesn't explode on you.

9. Mady_

Mady_ In the Brooder

Apr 20, 2019
    This egg was the only one, it was a wild egg I took in cause the mom abandon it. I know it was alive at one point because it was moving around inside the egg a bunch during candling around 15 days ago. Would it hurt to poke a hole away from the chick itself to see if its actually dead. I would do this outside so it doesn't stink up the whole house

10. Texas Kiki

Texas Kiki Egg Pusher

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
    If you have condensation then my guess is your humidity has been too high.
    I HIGHLY recommend getting a humidity gauge (Walmart has cheap ones) and salt testing it before you set eggs again. I can walk you through the test if/when you get one.
    It is simple.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: