PLEASE HELP ASAP

Mady_

In the Brooder
Apr 20, 2019
Hi! So my duck egg has started to smell at day 28, I can't tell if its the incubator water or the duck egg itself. I tried candling and haven't saw movement, did the water test and still haven't seen movement, he hasn't even internally pipped. My question is can make a hole in the top of the egg away from the duck to see if he's even still alive in there? If he is still alive will this harm him in any way?

Take the egg out and remove it from the bator. Then smell the egg. You can also lightly tap or whistle at the egg while candling and see if that triggers movement. I would do that before poking a hole in the egg. What have your temps and humidity been through incubation?
I removed it and it doesn't smell horrible but it doesn't smell great, to me it smells like swamp water. I've tried whistling, tapping, playing duck noises and nothing. The incubator I got doesn't allow me to see humidity but there's always condensation built up. The temp has been at 99 degrees fahrenheit or 37 degrees celsius. I'm honestly losing hope at this point and want to cry.

If the egg smells & sweaty, remove & bag, it's rotten. You really don't want it exploding, and it will) in the incubator. A mess to clean and disinfect.
Do you have other eggs in the incubator?
Have you candled prior?
Chickens - Incubation Chart.jpg

Hi! So my duck egg has started to smell at day 28, I can't tell if its the incubator water or the duck egg itself. I tried candling and haven't saw movement, did the water test and still haven't seen movement, he hasn't even internally pipped. My question is can make a hole in the top of the egg away from the duck to see if he's even still alive in there? If he is still alive will this harm him in any way?
If it stinks then it probably is not good.

I would be very careful that it doesn't explode on you.

If the egg smells & sweaty, remove & bag, it's rotten. You really don't want it exploding, and it will) in the incubator. A mess to clean and disinfect.
Do you have other eggs in the incubator?
Have you candled prior?
View attachment 1751046
This egg was the only one, it was a wild egg I took in cause the mom abandon it. I know it was alive at one point because it was moving around inside the egg a bunch during candling around 15 days ago. Would it hurt to poke a hole away from the chick itself to see if its actually dead. I would do this outside so it doesn't stink up the whole house

If you have condensation then my guess is your humidity has been too high.
I HIGHLY recommend getting a humidity gauge (Walmart has cheap ones) and salt testing it before you set eggs again. I can walk you through the test if/when you get one.
It is simple.

Back
Top Bottom