Please help! Aylesbury duck egg, precious to me. Large light patch at the bottom. Sticky? 6 days to go

AbS2abs

Hatching
Apr 18, 2021
Hello, please I'd be hugely grateful for some advice. I have one Aylesbury duck egg which is very precious to me. We had 3 adult ducks, but 1 female and 1 male got killed by a fox. We were devastated and my children have been really upset.

One female got away, injured but she's recovered. She layed one egg shortly after the attack and I incubated it. I have been checking humidity and temperature regularly, trying to maintain 55% and 37.2 degrees. Often the it's been hard to get the humidity to 55 and it's been mainly 40 -45.

Anyway, the egg is due to hatch on Saturday, 6 days away. But I've noticed quite a large light patch at the bottom of the egg. It's in the thinner pointy bit which I've kept angled downwards.

From what I've read, this could be due to sticky egg/chick?! But that's usually due to high humidity to I'm confused.
The light patch covers about 25% of the egg volume. I'm devastated because I assume this isn't good news. I can see the chick moving towards the top, so it's alive at the moment.

Any advice gratefully recieved. I've read I should reduce humidity to try to remove moisture? Until the final couple of days?

Abi

Hello, please I'd be hugely grateful for some advice. I have one Aylesbury duck egg which is very precious to me. We had 3 adult ducks, but 1 female and 1 male got killed by a fox. We were devastated and my children have been really upset.

One female got away, injured but she's recovered. She layed one egg shortly after the attack and I incubated it. I have been checking humidity and temperature regularly, trying to maintain 55% and 37.2 degrees. Often the it's been hard to get the humidity to 55 and it's been mainly 40 -45.

Anyway, the egg is due to hatch on Saturday, 6 days away. But I've noticed quite a large light patch at the bottom of the egg. It's in the thinner pointy bit which I've kept angled downwards.

From what I've read, this could be due to sticky egg/chick?! But that's usually due to high humidity to I'm confused.
The light patch covers about 25% of the egg volume. I'm devastated because I assume this isn't good news. I can see the chick moving towards the top, so it's alive at the moment.

Any advice gratefully recieved. I've read I should reduce humidity to try to remove moisture? Until the final couple of days?

Abi

when placing the egg on a candler, does that section of the egg appear to be cracked, thinner or different in any way? cracks and thin spots in the shell will appear noticeably lighter than the surrounding shell. has the egg been regularly turned? if so how many times per day? Can you upload a photo?

Just a couple of thoughts based on having not enough information. Sounds a lot like a crack. The way you are describing it, it almost sounds like weeping, couldnt be that though because the baby is alive.

Just an FYI if the egg is cracked its not all hope lost but it should be sealed either with white glue or a bit of candle wax.... photos....up load photos I am curious as heck.

when placing the egg on a candler, does that section of the egg appear to be cracked, thinner or different in any way? cracks and thin spots in the shell will appear noticeably lighter than the surrounding shell. has the egg been regularly turned? if so how many times per day? Can you upload a photo?

Just a couple of thoughts based on having not enough information. Sounds a lot like a crack. The way you are describing it, it almost sounds like weeping, couldnt be that though because the baby is alive.

Just an FYI if the egg is cracked its not all hope lost but it should be sealed either with white glue or a bit of candle wax.... photos....up load photos I am curious as heck.
Hi thank you so much for getting back to me. Sorry for the slight delay, I've been waiting until there is someone else here to help me take photos. I can't hold the egg, torch and take photos!
The egg did get cracked by the rack in the incubator about 9 days ago. I sealed it with wax a couple of days later. The problem area does seem to align with the crack :-(
I've since removed the egg from the rack and I manually turn it.
One photo here is of the air sac at the top of the egg. The rest are of the bottom of the egg.
Thanks so much

Attachments

• IMG-20210419-WA0008.jpg
    IMG-20210419-WA0008.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG-20210419-WA0009.jpg
    IMG-20210419-WA0009.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG-20210419-WA0007.jpg
    IMG-20210419-WA0007.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG-20210419-WA0006.jpg
    IMG-20210419-WA0006.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG-20210419-WA0005.jpg
    IMG-20210419-WA0005.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 10
Hi thank you so much for getting back to me. Sorry for the slight delay, I've been waiting until there is someone else here to help me take photos. I can't hold the egg, torch and take photos!
The egg did get cracked by the rack in the incubator about 9 days ago. I sealed it with wax a couple of days later. The problem area does seem to align with the crack :-(
I've since removed the egg from the rack and I manually turn it.
One photo here is of the air sac at the top of the egg. The rest are of the bottom of the egg.
Thanks so much

Something does not look right there. You are positive you see movement in there? Typically at day 22/23 I can't see into the pointed end of the egg like that. Typically most of the egg can't be seen through and then in the blunt end (air sac end) you will be able to see movement right along the edge between the membrane and air sac, prior to the internal pip taking place.

Here's the thing about cracked eggs. Risk of bacteria is much higher even resealed, weeping is a sign of bacteria, but then so is a cracked egg in general.

Does the egg smell like sulfur or really bad in general?

Something does not look right there. You are positive you see movement in there? Typically at day 22/23 I can't see into the pointed end of the egg like that. Typically most of the egg can't be seen through and then in the blunt end (air sac end) you will be able to see movement right along the edge between the membrane and air sac, prior to the internal pip taking place.

Here's the thing about cracked eggs. Risk of bacteria is much higher even resealed, weeping is a sign of bacteria, but then so is a cracked egg in general.

Does the egg smell like sulfur or really bad in general?
Hi, I've waited until dark to candle again and I can definitely see movement. Took me a while to see it, but there is movement right near the air sac. There is no horrid smell at all.
I'm assuming maybe it's not formed properly and won't make it :-(
I'll persevere until passed the hatching date and until I can't see movement.
So sad! I didn't realise I would be this attached to a chick

Back
Top Bottom