PLEASE HELP!!! Baby chick PUNCTURED crop!!! GRAPHIC PICTURE!!!

City chick

In the Brooder
7 Years
Feb 26, 2012
I just went to check on my week old chicks that are outside enjoying the beautiful weather. We keep our older birds in our side yard separate from our new babies. But I found out that one of my eight week old pullets got out and flew into yard with the babies. I put her back and went to check on the babies to put them in for the night and saw one chick had a red spot on him. On closer inspection, I found this.......

What should I do!!!!????????
He is on my chest right now as I type this. He seems to be resting but I'm not sure if I should put him out of his misery or if his body can heal itself. You can see that it punctured him in the crop and the opening of the crop is exposed.

Please any advice.

I don't want to have to cull it, but if there's nothing to be done, I want to do the most humane thing for the chick.

Thanks

Last edited:
I have one right now very similar to yours. Not near as bad, but they have pecked a small hole in his neck. I have separated mine (with a buddy that I found won't peck at him. I doubt you could find a buddy for yours. You can use a stuffed animal.) Put something on it. Preferably an antibiotic ointment like Neosporin. Maybe some electrolytes. He might be fine if you make sure he doesn't get infected and keep him away from the others. You must separate him or they will peck him to death. Chickens are naturally curious and peck at things that look different. If they continue to peck at him, the could get it infected or expose something vital. He must be separated. With his crop being exposed he may or may not make it. If he looks like he'll make it, give him a shot. If he's suffering, help him out. I hope he gets better.
hugs.gif

Hard to tell from the photo, but I would bring it to a vet who can at least clip and clean the wound and see how extensive it is. Don't do triple antibiotic ointment! Well meaning people use this but it can actually trap bacteria into the wound because it is petroleum jelly based, especially since it looks more like a puncture wound.

Many people here have stiched up crops very successfully- usually from impacted crop surgery. Do a search here for the keywords surgery and crop and stitch. Many have given the details.

I would wash the wound thoroughly, pinch the skin together and glue it with superglue. Wait until dry, smear some neosporin over the sound, and put chick with "non-pecking" friend until healed enough to return. This chick can get well!

Last edited:
I would wash the wound thoroughly, pinch the skin together and glue it with superglue. Wait until dry, smear some neosporin over the sound, and put chick with "non-pecking" friend until healed enough to return. This chick can get well!

Again, do NOT do Neosporin or other triple antibiotic ointment on any suspected puncture wound, human or animal. It says so even on the tube. The reason for this is that it prevents a wound like this from draining and you actually lock in bacteria that way. Triple antibiotic ointment is better for some cuts and abrasions, but never puncture wounds.

Back
Top Bottom