please help!! chicken is puffed up an not moving much.

kristamakk

In the Brooder
Feb 28, 2021
This morning when i walked into the coop, one of my rescue chickens is puffed up and not moving much. I checked it out and thought maybe she is just tired, it is early. But now it's been a few hours and it doesn't seem to be feeling better. We don't know their exact age, it is around 1.5-2 years old. She is responsive, but when she moves a little she just goes back to the puffed up sleepy state. I'm not sure if shes been eating much, but i will try again to give her some water. I don't know what happened, nothing seems injured.

Should i isolate her? please help, i've lost a chicken this way and i really don't want it to happen again :<

When a chicken is puffed up and not moving, something is definitely wrong. You should isolate her until you can figure out what it is. I'm not a chicken expert, but I know the ones here will want pictures of your hen, description and/or pictures of poop, will want to know if she is eating and drinking, how long ago she laid an egg...
Hope you can figure it out and that she feels better soon!

Here is the list of info wanted from the pinned post in the emergency forum:
1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)
2) What is the behavior, exactly.
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use

This morning when i walked into the coop, one of my rescue chickens is puffed up and not moving much. I checked it out and thought maybe she is just tired, it is early. But now it's been a few hours and it doesn't seem to be feeling better. We don't know their exact age, it is around 1.5-2 years old. She is responsive, but when she moves a little she just goes back to the puffed up sleepy state. I'm not sure if shes been eating much, but i will try again to give her some water. I don't know what happened, nothing seems injured.

Should i isolate her? please help, i've lost a chicken this way and i really don't want it to happen again :<
Welcome to BYC.
In addition to answering the above questions and providing a picture of her, how long have you had this bird?

Welcome to BYC.
In addition to answering the above questions and providing a picture of her, how long have you had this bird?
I've had her for about a year. She was one of 20 rescues from a egg farm, so i don't know how she was treated there other than neglect. She is the brown one, sorry, couldn't get a picture of just her as they are all warming up in the sun. When i put her down after i checked for mites, she did go eat a bit of food, so i'm really hoping this is a temporary issue.

Attachments

• chicken.jpg
    chicken.jpg
    346.9 KB · Views: 17
When a chicken is puffed up and not moving, something is definitely wrong. You should isolate her until you can figure out what it is. I'm not a chicken expert, but I know the ones here will want pictures of your hen, description and/or pictures of poop, will want to know if she is eating and drinking, how long ago she laid an egg...
Hope you can figure it out and that she feels better soon!

Here is the list of info wanted from the pinned post in the emergency forum:
1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)
2) What is the behavior, exactly.
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use
thank you!! i'm really hoping she'll end up okay. I will most likely isolate her.

Back
Top Bottom