Please help! Classroom hatch - Intestines or yolk sack trailing?

mtma

Songster
5 Years
Jul 18, 2018
This guy hatched yesterday evening, and at the time of hatch had a large blob attached (see pic). Today he is still in the incubator so the others don't peck at him, its dried more, but looks like it has pink parts more than just yolk. He is eating and walking, but does not have the round abdomen like the others do. His sibling is still drying and keeping him company. Do chicks like this recover?

Attachments

• 20230510_201856.jpg
    20230510_201856.jpg
    326.9 KB · Views: 53
  • 20230511_092342.jpg
    20230511_092342.jpg
    285.6 KB · Views: 24
  • 20230511_092320.jpg
    20230511_092320.jpg
    274.6 KB · Views: 24
  • 20230511_092254.jpg
    20230511_092254.jpg
    299.1 KB · Views: 24
Bump so that you hopefully you get a better answer, but it's probably best to not get your hopes too high. Very important whether or not that's yolk sac vs intestines or another organ drying out... I don't have the experience to tell. Fingers crossed for you.

Bump so that you hopefully you get a better answer, but it's probably best to not get your hopes too high. Very important whether or not that's yolk sac vs intestines or another organ drying out... I don't have the experience to tell. Fingers crossed for you.

Thank you đź’—

Looks like just yolk sac to me, but it's hard to tell with these pictures. If it's yolk sac it will eventually dry up and fall up. If it's internal organs as well, your chick will eventually die, probably over the next week or so.

Once everything dries out hard, if he has a hard mass stuck to his abdomen, you can trim it with a pair of nail scissors so you can put the chick in with the others in the brooder. Like trim it where it's trailing down. Don't pull anything off the chick's body. It's basically like an umbilical cord. Eventually anything stuck to the chick's body will flake off, over time.

Crossing fingers for you. Hard to have something like this happen with a classroom hatch.

Looks like just yolk sac to me, but it's hard to tell with these pictures. If it's yolk sac it will eventually dry up and fall up. If it's internal organs as well, your chick will eventually die, probably over the next week or so.

Once everything dries out hard, if he has a hard mass stuck to his abdomen, you can trim it with a pair of nail scissors so you can put the chick in with the others in the brooder. Like trim it where it's trailing down. Don't pull anything off the chick's body. It's basically like an umbilical cord. Eventually anything stuck to the chick's body will flake off, over time.

Crossing fingers for you. Hard to have something like this happen with a classroom hatch.
Thank you. Can I put him in with the others in the morning? That will be 36 hrs in incubator and his buddy wants out.

Thank you. Can I put him in with the others in the morning? That will be 36 hrs in incubator and his buddy wants out.
You can put the buddy out with the others now. You can put the chick with dried stuff on him with the others whenever you feel it's appropriate.

I usually open my incubator and take out each chick after they've dried and fluffed up and are more sturdy on their legs (about a day or two, sometimes after a couple hours). If it's only open for less than a minutes, no impact to still-hatching eggs, generally.

Thanks everyone. He was getting pecked hard by the others, making it worse. He was culled humanely before he suffered anymore. We hatched out 9 healthy other chicks in the classroom, and it was a very happy experience.

Back
Top Bottom