PLEASE HELP DECLINING HEN. LABORED BREATHING.

Cohl0406

Songster
5 Years
May 29, 2014
Brought her leghorn inside yesterday labored breathing. Decrease appetite. Got her eating and drinking. Now she has pooped all over herself. Wont stand. Poops all over wing and back tail feathers. Labored breathing while she lays down wont stand.

Have corid. Ivermectin. Vetrx. Shes about a year old

How does her abdomen feel? Bloated and like a water balloon, hard?
I'd suspect ascitis.

She passed about an hour ago in my arms.

Her abdomen, I guess more towards her back end felt like an over filled water bed.

Is it worth necropsy? No other chickens are showing signs and around here they are all nearly 200 bucks.

She passed about an hour ago in my arms.

Her abdomen, I guess more towards her back end felt like an over filled water bed.

Is it worth necropsy? No other chickens are showing signs and around here they are all nearly 200 bucks.
Not worth necropsy. She definitely had ascitis, which could have been drained but is usually chronic.

I know for the future I guess. I'm so sad I couldnt help her!

It just didnt seem overly extended for me to think something was wrong. I guess I should go feel up the other chickens to learn.

She was so so skinny. Weighed right under 3 lbs. A year old.

It just didnt seem overly extended for me to think something was wrong. I guess I should go feel up the other chickens to learn.

:hugs

Sorry for your loss.
Have you ever dewormed your flock?

What exactly do you feed them?

Here is some reading on what it could have been...ascites:
https://www.merckvetmanual.com/poul...itions-of-poultry/ascites-syndrome-in-poultry

Just curious...when was the last time she laid an egg?

If you have it in your to open her up yourself it will give you a better idea of what was going on if you don't want to send her for a proper necropsy.

It had been almost a week since her last egg. They get natures best layer pellets and scraps like veggies and crackers now and then as treats even more rarely I buy mealworms. They free range all day in our large backyard as well so whatever bugs they find and grass. (They steal a few pellets of goat food here and there when the goats eat lol)

We have never dewormed but I'm thinking I should since Hei Hei was so so skinny. That bone in the middle on her under side was protruding so bad. None of the other birds are skinny like that.

Should I get safeguard and worm everyone? They dont all drink from one source so a wormer I can give them individually would be needed.

It had been almost a week since her last egg. They get natures best layer pellets and scraps like veggies and crackers now and then as treats even more rarely I buy mealworms. They free range all day in our large backyard as well so whatever bugs they find and grass. (They steal a few pellets of goat food here and there when the goats eat lol)

We have never dewormed but I'm thinking I should since Hei Hei was so so skinny. That bone in the middle on her under side was protruding so bad. None of the other birds are skinny like that.

Should I get safeguard and worm everyone? They dont all drink from one source so a wormer I can give them individually would be needed.
I would deworm or, if it isn't too costly, take a stool sample to any local vet and have them float test it. Better to treat if you have something than if you don't.

Back
Top Bottom