Please help diagnose my sick chicken

loveclucks

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jan 1, 2015
Seattle
Hello fellow chicken lovers. I have a 2.5 year old sex-link hen that I'm concerned about. She has been acting extremely lethargic, her stomach is "growling" making lots of noises, she stretches out her neck occasionally and gasps like she is gagging, and slightly foul smelling " spit" drips out of her beak sometimes. I have had her in my house for 3 days which she seems to love and I'm giving her Amprolium. I will give her immune boost after treating with Amprolium. Her first night inside she did not poop at all. The next night she pooped a little bit. She does not have much of an appetite but does eat a little bit. She is drinking water regularly. Any advice is appreciated. I've never wormed my chickens but always put ACV in their water and occasionally D.E. in their food. I'm also good about keeping their coop and run poop-free. If she does not get better I'm dreading having to cull her as she is one of my friendliest chickens and also one of the best layers. I cannot afford another trip to the chicken vet which I had to do 2 years ago for another sick chicken ( totally different symptoms ) and ended up having to cull her after trying 2 different meds.

What does her poop look like? Try putting some electrolytes (found at feed stores or TSC) in her water...that may just giver her immune system a bit of a boost. I'm kind of at a loss at what this could be, but let me think a bit longer and see if I can think of anything!

Last edited:
It sounds possibly like she may have sour crop. How does her crop feel--full and balloon-like, soft, or hard? Or does it feel empty? If you could take her to a vet familiar with chickens, they may be able to treat her quickly. They can get fungal or bacterial infections from a crop impaction of loss grasses or foods that get stuck in the crop. sometimes there is just a crop problem where it is not functioning. If no vet is available, here are some good articles to read:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/impacted-slow-and-sour-crops-prevention-and-treatments
http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/04/answers-from-chicken-vet-on-impacted.html
http://www.tillysnest.com/2012/01/crop-issues-html/

Ok thanks for your advice. I was told to give Amprolium where I buy feed but it was a guess. I just paid close attention to her crop. She's barely eaten but it was full and squishy. As I was massaging it I could hear liquid squishing around inside. I held her upside down over the bathtub and shook hard and a whole bunch of stinky brown bile came out along with grit and some pebbles. At the feed store they gave a mash to feed her that smells liken fermented molasses but she's barely eaten it. Would yogurt help her? Is it possible worms caused this? Should I treat her for worms or wait?

Worms can be a cause of a slow drop, but she may have long grasses or feed that has caused a sour crop. If you go back up to post number 3, and click on those links, they contain a lot of good info about crop problems. Be very cautious having her vomit--that is a common treatment for crop probles, but it can cause her to aspirate or choke, and should be done correctly and with caution. Some people use Monistat 7 or miconazole cream or suppositories given orally for sour crop. There are several threads about it if you do a search here on BYC.

Last edited:
She has improved significantly since I helped empty her crop. She is eating for the first time in days and is vocalizing a little bit too for the first time. Thanks to you all for your help. I'm wondering now do I need to treat her with Nystatin for a fungal infection or worm her or do nothing. I'm going to keep her in the house for a few more days. Now I feel bad for not noticing her crop.

She has improved significantly since I helped empty her crop.  She is eating for the first time in days and is vocalizing a little bit too for the first time.  Thanks to you all for your help.  I'm wondering now do I need to treat her with Nystatin for a fungal infection or worm her or do nothing.  I'm going to keep her in the house for a few more days.   Now I feel bad for not noticing her crop.

I would feed her some plain yogurt and raw egg tomorrow, plus lots of water (add electrolytes if you have them.) Massage her croup several times a day, but don't let her eat solid food for the first day. Second day if crop feels okay, give her some chicken feed (no whole grains) mixed with a lot of water and a tsp of yogurt. Massage the crop. Then if she is emptying her crop resume her diet gradually.

Back
Top Bottom