Please help diagnose my sick silkie!

courtneyac

Hatching
Jan 27, 2015
Hi everyone, I'm new to owning silkies and I appear to have a problem that I discovered today with one of them. Her leg is 3-4 times the size of the other and her opposite wing has a pussy sore on it and is also inflamed. Im not sure if the wing problem and foot problem are related or not. I have 2 other silkies in there and both are fine. Can someone please help with diagnosis and a cure? Thank you :)

Last edited:
I am so sorry about your baby. It is very possible this bird has MS...a bacterial infection that causes the foot joint of the left foot to swell as synovial fluid leaks into the tissues. Is the pad of the foot on the same leg swollen as well?

If possible you might have this bird tested for MS by an avian vet or your local agricultural lab.

If she does have MS you might get her on either some Denagard or Baytril and Cephalexcin together. Either of these antibiotics will relieve her of these symptoms. If they survive MS they are carriers for the rest of their days. Surgery to the pad helps to drain the fluid. You would want to drain the fluid daily to every 2 days.

The wing issue is probably pecking from other birds as she is seen to them as sick. She could also be self mutilating. You can use some sort of antibiotic ointment on this area.

Last edited:
I am so sorry about your baby. It is very possible this bird has MS...a bacterial infection that causes the foot joint of the left foot to swell as synovial fluid leaks into the tissues. Is the pad of the foot on the same leg swollen as well? 

If possible you might have this bird tested for MS by an avian vet or your local agricultural lab. 

If she does have MS you might get her on either some Denagard or Baytril and Cephalexcin together. Either of these antibiotics will relieve her of these symptoms. If they survive MS they are carriers for the rest of their days. Surgery to the pad helps to drain the fluid. You would want to drain the fluid daily to every 2 days. 

The wing issue is probably pecking from other birds as she is seen to them as sick. She could also be self mutilating. You can use some sort of antibiotic ointment on this area. 
Thanks so much for your information. None of that sounds too good :( yes the pad was also swollen. Is it bad to have her in the cage with the others if this is the case? When you say to drain the fluid from her foot, would this be using a similar process recommended for bumble foot? I was reading about it on the forum last night.

Thank you so much for your help!

Quote: Yes, you would basically be doing a bumblefoot surgery on her pad to drain the fluid. Is that swollen area really warm or hot?

MS is a bacteria and is contagious. So you might separate her from the others. I would see if you can find an avian vet or even call your local agriculture dept and see if you can't get her tested for MS (Mycoplasma Synoviae) Most people will recommend putting birds like this down or even the entire flock. I had MS in my flock and decided to treat my birds. Several of them contracted it and no doubt the entire flock had it, but possibly didn't show many symptoms. But I did bumblefoot surgeries daily on several birds for many months. LOTS of antibiotics. When I finally got a hold of this bacteria I moved all of them to new ground, new coop on sand. I believe I have completely destroyed the bacteria in them as I have since added new birds to my flock and MS has not reared it's ugly head. This was 3 years ago. So it can be done, but it is time consuming and the meds are expensive.

But I would see if you can get her tested some where. For now, you might still get her on some Baytril to help with that swelling. It looks painful and infected. Maybe even 1/2 of a baby asprin daily. Not adult but baby asprin. Take a half of asprin break it in half and put these two halves in two raisins. This will help with inflammation and more swelling.

H
Do you have any Meloxicam for cats or dogs?

-Kathy
Hi Kathy,
Thank you got your help. I took her to the vet today, sadly it was too late and she had to be out down. They said she may have contracted an infection that was shutting down her system or it could have been cancer but her wing was much worse today. I'm just glad she isn't suffering.

Thank you again for your help, I really appreciate it!

Yes, you would basically be doing a bumblefoot surgery on her pad to drain the fluid. Is that swollen area really warm or hot? 

MS is a bacteria and is contagious. So you might separate her from the others. I would see if you can find an avian vet or even call your local agriculture dept and see if you can't get her tested for MS (Mycoplasma Synoviae) Most people will recommend putting birds like this down or even the entire flock. I had MS in my flock and decided to treat my birds. Several of them contracted it and no doubt the entire flock had it, but possibly didn't show many symptoms. But I did bumblefoot surgeries daily on several birds for many months. LOTS of antibiotics. When I finally got a hold of this bacteria I moved all of them to new ground, new coop on sand. I believe I have completely destroyed the bacteria in them as I have since added new birds to my flock and MS has not reared it's ugly head. This was 3 years ago.  So it can be done, but it is time consuming and the meds are expensive. 

But I would see if you can get her tested some where. For now, you might still get her on some Baytril to help with that swelling. It looks painful and infected. Maybe even 1/2 of a baby asprin daily. Not adult but baby asprin. Take a half of asprin break it in half and put these two halves in two raisins. This will help with inflammation and more swelling. 
H
Do you have any Meloxicam for cats or dogs?

-Kathy
Hi,
Thank you for all of your help. I took her to the vet today, sadly it was too late and she had to be put down. They said she may have contracted an infection that was shutting down her system or it could have been cancer but her wing was much worse today. The vet said it appeared like a growth. I'm just glad she isn't suffering, I just wish we could have caught it sooner but she said because of her size she much have been struggling since she was born.

Thank you again for your help and replies, I really appreciate it! Thankfully whatever it was, it wasn't contagious!

Back
Top Bottom