Please help diagnose my sick silkie!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by courtneyac, Jan 27, 2015.

1. courtneyac

courtneyac New Egg

Jan 27, 2015
    Hi everyone, I'm new to owning silkies and I appear to have a problem that I discovered today with one of them. Her leg is 3-4 times the size of the other and her opposite wing has a pussy sore on it and is also inflamed. Im not sure if the wing problem and foot problem are related or not. I have 2 other silkies in there and both are fine. Can someone please help with diagnosis and a cure? Thank you :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 27, 2015
  2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    I am so sorry about your baby. It is very possible this bird has MS...a bacterial infection that causes the foot joint of the left foot to swell as synovial fluid leaks into the tissues. Is the pad of the foot on the same leg swollen as well?

If possible you might have this bird tested for MS by an avian vet or your local agricultural lab.

If she does have MS you might get her on either some Denagard or Baytril and Cephalexcin together. Either of these antibiotics will relieve her of these symptoms. If they survive MS they are carriers for the rest of their days. Surgery to the pad helps to drain the fluid. You would want to drain the fluid daily to every 2 days.

The wing issue is probably pecking from other birds as she is seen to them as sick. She could also be self mutilating. You can use some sort of antibiotic ointment on this area.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2015
  3. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Was she vaccinated for Marek's? How old is she?

-Kathy

4. courtneyac

courtneyac New Egg

Jan 27, 2015
    No she wasn't Kathy, the lady I bought him off said it wasn't necessary but the other birds are all completely fine! Would it have spread if it was Marek's?

5. courtneyac

courtneyac New Egg

Jan 27, 2015
    Thanks so much for your information. None of that sounds too good :( yes the pad was also swollen. Is it bad to have her in the cage with the others if this is the case? When you say to drain the fluid from her foot, would this be using a similar process recommended for bumble foot? I was reading about it on the forum last night.

Thank you so much for your help!

6. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop

7. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Do you have any Meloxicam for cats or dogs?

-Kathy

8. courtneyac

courtneyac New Egg

Jan 27, 2015
    H
    Hi Kathy,
    Thank you got your help. I took her to the vet today, sadly it was too late and she had to be out down. They said she may have contracted an infection that was shutting down her system or it could have been cancer but her wing was much worse today. I'm just glad she isn't suffering.

Thank you again for your help, I really appreciate it!

9. courtneyac

courtneyac New Egg

Jan 27, 2015
    H
    Hi,
    Thank you for all of your help. I took her to the vet today, sadly it was too late and she had to be put down. They said she may have contracted an infection that was shutting down her system or it could have been cancer but her wing was much worse today. The vet said it appeared like a growth. I'm just glad she isn't suffering, I just wish we could have caught it sooner but she said because of her size she much have been struggling since she was born.

Thank you again for your help and replies, I really appreciate it! Thankfully whatever it was, it wasn't contagious!

10. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Sorry for your loss. Hopefully it wasn't Marek's.

-Kathy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by