Please help! Do I need to put coconut oil on pip?

Pics
What is the status of everything now? Just try to keep humidity stable (where it is right now is fine) and keep an eye on things.

Of course she'll need to dry off to know for sure, but I can see her mask really well and she's much darker than the cockerel. I really hope it's a girl. I do plan on keeping them. I have every bird that's ever lived here, except for 1 Buff Orpington Cockerel that was a jerk. I have 3 jerks here right now and they'll need to go asap. I have 11 boys total and that's not including any chicks.
I am so thrilled that a Spitz hatched! Now there are 3 eggs left, but I believe the CCL egg is only on Day 19 today. Hopefully I didn't drown it with the humidity. The other 2 are Mally's eggs.

Yay!!! Congratulations! I'm so happy they're hatching. I hope its a girlie! The Spitz will be awesome. I need pics when they're dry! Wait until the new CCL baby is dry, and then move all 3 to the brooder. Make sure you practice really good biosecurity between them and your adult chickens. Especially if they're possibly sick. Congrats again!

I'm not sure about the other CCL. I may have 2 CCL cockerels. The newest hatcher is fluffing up, but I'll be able to tell more once I get them out. I am so thrilled that all three are here! I can't get over the size of these chicks! I've had day olds before and the majority of my birds are large fowl, but hatching them, the size difference between these and the bantams I've hatched is CRAZY!!! Would you advise me to use a heat lamp instead of the heat plate with these? I am still using the heat lamp and the heat plate with the Serama Chick, but he stays under the heat lamp from what I can tell. I purchased another heat lamp today but was only able to purchase a 250 watt bulb. That just gets so hot and seems to heat up my entire shop. I got the reptile bulb over a year ago, with my first flock, when I quickly realized how hot the 250 watt bulb was. I'm using the reptile bulb with the Serama. I was thinking about putting both brooders in the tiny shop bathroom and closing the door. I can shine the light in the brooder of the new chicks and the bathroom should get warm enough for the week and a half old Serama. Both brooders will have their own heat plate. What are your thoughts on this? I thought about putting them in with the Serama but they're already larger than the Serama and they're supposed to have 95° while the Serama has been at 90° for the past few days. I thought that the Serama was quite large today but now that they've all hatched, I realized the Serama is tiny still. Good tip about the biosecurity! I am treating every one in each of my flocks with Corid and some with Corid and Sulfa. The Serama hasn't had any symptoms, but I started him on Corid whenever I started everyone else, even though he doesn't get to spend time anywhere except for his brooder in the shop bathroom and if my daughter or I are holding him. Thank you for mentioning that. I certainly don't want these chicks to have to battle coccidia. I don't want that for them and I don't want that for me.
I want to thank you again for all of your help and support. I wouldn't have these 3 chicks without your support. Several times today I wanted to reach in and grab this other CCL egg and assist. I don't know what your voice sounds like but I could hear what I think it would sound like, guiding me and telling me to not rush it and asking me how long it's been pipped. That voice (you) kept me from possibly killing this chick by intervening too early. It was able to hatch on it's own and I appreciate all of the support and knowledge you've shared with me over the past several weeks.
20200806_190232.jpg

I'll get some better pictures once I get them out of the incubator. The latest CCL is fluffing up very quickly!

Side note; oh my goodness! I guess the multiple chicks is what has caused the down buildup on the incubator! With my hatches being smaller usually, this seems like so much down!

With the last CCL egg having 2 days left, do you suggest that I just leave everything like it is whenever I take the chicks and their eggs out? Mally's eggs are on Day 21, I believe. I should probably try to candle them. I got some new batteries so maybe that will help with candling them. If I can't see anything, should I just leave them, along with the other CCL egg? Leave humidity where it is, 64%?
Thank you so much for everything!
@MGG

I'm not sure about the other CCL. I may have 2 CCL cockerels. The newest hatcher is fluffing up, but I'll be able to tell more once I get them out. I am so thrilled that all three are here! I can't get over the size of these chicks! I've had day olds before and the majority of my birds are large fowl, but hatching them, the size difference between these and the bantams I've hatched is CRAZY!!! Would you advise me to use a heat lamp instead of the heat plate with these? I am still using the heat lamp and the heat plate with the Serama Chick, but he stays under the heat lamp from what I can tell. I purchased another heat lamp today but was only able to purchase a 250 watt bulb. That just gets so hot and seems to heat up my entire shop. I got the reptile bulb over a year ago, with my first flock, when I quickly realized how hot the 250 watt bulb was. I'm using the reptile bulb with the Serama. I was thinking about putting both brooders in the tiny shop bathroom and closing the door. I can shine the light in the brooder of the new chicks and the bathroom should get warm enough for the week and a half old Serama. Both brooders will have their own heat plate. What are your thoughts on this? I thought about putting them in with the Serama but they're already larger than the Serama and they're supposed to have 95° while the Serama has been at 90° for the past few days. I thought that the Serama was quite large today but now that they've all hatched, I realized the Serama is tiny still. Good tip about the biosecurity! I am treating every one in each of my flocks with Corid and some with Corid and Sulfa. The Serama hasn't had any symptoms, but I started him on Corid whenever I started everyone else, even though he doesn't get to spend time anywhere except for his brooder in the shop bathroom and if my daughter or I are holding him. Thank you for mentioning that. I certainly don't want these chicks to have to battle coccidia. I don't want that for them and I don't want that for me.
I want to thank you again for all of your help and support. I wouldn't have these 3 chicks without your support. Several times today I wanted to reach in and grab this other CCL egg and assist. I don't know what your voice sounds like but I could hear what I think it would sound like, guiding me and telling me to not rush it and asking me how long it's been pipped. That voice (you) kept me from possibly killing this chick by intervening too early. It was able to hatch on it's own and I appreciate all of the support and knowledge you've shared with me over the past several weeks.
View attachment 2279491
I'll get some better pictures once I get them out of the incubator. The latest CCL is fluffing up very quickly!

Side note; oh my goodness! I guess the multiple chicks is what has caused the down buildup on the incubator! With my hatches being smaller usually, this seems like so much down!

With the last CCL egg having 2 days left, do you suggest that I just leave everything like it is whenever I take the chicks and their eggs out? Mally's eggs are on Day 21, I believe. I should probably try to candle them. I got some new batteries so maybe that will help with candling them. If I can't see anything, should I just leave them, along with the other CCL egg? Leave humidity where it is, 64%?
Thank you so much for everything!
@MGG
Aw! I'm so happy they all hatched!!! I read the post, but I'm in the middle of taking care of all the chickens so I'll have to write a lengthier reply later this evening. Oh, so you have 3 CCL chicks and 1 egg still? How is this egg behind? I would remove the Serama's lamp, and give it to the new chicks. Just shove the Serama under the plate often. It'll learn fast. I wouldn't give the new chicks the plate just yet, just do the heat lamp for the first 24 hours or so. When you remove the chicks (I'd do that later this evening) remove all of the gunky hatch stuff. Do you have any eggs in this incubator other than Mally's and the CCL? I'll be on around 10 p.m. CST probably. Gtg for now. Congrats again!!!! I love their little faces 😍

Back
Top Bottom