Please help ID this Beauty

MinnPeeps

Chirping
Jul 21, 2023
Minnesota
Good evening,
I need help in Identifying this young lady. I just received her yesterday. She is about 7 months old and very gentle. And she gifted me a beautiful cinnamon brown egg. Thanks in advance for your help.
1000000173[1].jpg

What's make you think she is mixed? I'm trying to learn as much as possible to ID breed and sex. Please expand on your opinion. I'm open to any advice and opinion. Thanks.

What's make you think she is mixed? I'm trying to learn as much as possible to ID breed and sex. Please expand on your opinion. I'm open to any advice and opinion. Thanks.
First the color/pattern. BCMs should have a deep red. She doesn't. I could forgive that as not having stellar breeding. The pattern though. BCMs are the birchen pattern. With hens the color is only in the hackles. She has color way down on her body. That tells me she's either birchen or extended black mixed with a pattern like duckwing or something.
Black sex link hens are a similar mix of genes.
Beyond that her face seems to have some dark pigment that shouldn't be there. Around the eyes and her lobes should be a nice red. Hers isn't.
Her body shape looks off. Also something I could see as not being picky with breeding.
Shanks look off. BCMs are white skinned. I can't tell on the pic if there's some other tint there or what. Looks like a lot of dark wash in the least.
Not exactly what I'd expect to see but it does happen with black birds so maybe that's excusable.
If I add up everything there's just too much off for me to say BCM. Honestly though the extra gold tones alone screams something else besides pure BCMs.

First the color/pattern. BCMs should have a deep red. She doesn't. I could forgive that as not having stellar breeding. The pattern though. BCMs are the birchen pattern. With hens the color is only in the hackles. She has color way down on her body. That tells me she's either birchen or extended black mixed with a pattern like duckwing or something.
Black sex link hens are a similar mix of genes.
Beyond that her face seems to have some dark pigment that shouldn't be there. Around the eyes and her lobes should be a nice red. Hers isn't.
Her body shape looks off. Also something I could see as not being picky with breeding.
Shanks look off. BCMs are white skinned. I can't tell on the pic if there's some other tint there or what. Looks like a lot of dark wash in the least.
Not exactly what I'd expect to see but it does happen with black birds so maybe that's excusable.
If I add up everything there's just too much off for me to say BCM. Honestly though the extra gold tones alone screams something else besides pure BCMs.
@The Moonshiner. Thanks for the wisdom. I will put this in my mental rolodex. Oh, I'm showing my age again. No one says "rolodex" anymore. But I see what you are saying. Can not the shanks also be slate color?

Back
Top Bottom